Dale Earnhardt Lumina

Omega-Red

Hello everyone.

I'm new to this forum. I think I came to the right place to ask this question.

Can anyone explain to me how hard is it to make a rear wheel drive V8 6 speed Z34 with the body modification 1:1 Dale Earnhardt lumina.

I know this will cost so please exclude the comments like its not worth it or its a waste of money and time. I would like to get more of a technical advice rather than opinion.

Thank you very much.

Lumina%20Pit%20Stop.jpg

Wow... Quite the project. What I would suggest is rather then start on a Z34 frame, go right to a RWD platform. Possibly a camaro or something and get body parts fabbed for it so it looks like the Nascar.

If you are dead set on modifing the Z34 however, You'd need MASSIVE frame suring to keep the frame work from twisting under load. The hood area is also kind of minute for a V-8. You would more then likely be forced into a small block, or lengthening the front end. I'm sure it could be done, but the fact of the matter is that it would be unwise to use the Lumina frame. Have body work done to a Corvette, Camaro, maybe even a S10 or something.

easiest way would be to find a simular sized rwd car and transfer the front end and rear end componets over. it will require huge amounts of work. Post pictures if you ever do decide to do this.

Why not just find an early 90s late model rolling chassis and go from there. If Ken Schrader can have a street legal modified, I dont see why you couldnt have a street legal Lumina stock car clone.

You would probably have to use a Mustang front end, a C4 Corvette rear, and a custom driveshaft. It's possible. I just watched Tuner Transformation on SpeedChannel turn a 92 Toyota Paseo into a RWD car using truck parts.

maybe the frame from the 1995ish Impala would fit?!?!

by any means i give you major props if you pull this off

That's a good idea. For cost savings, you could probably use a Caprice frame instead-aren't they the same?

Theres 2 ways Ive seen RWD swaps done:

A) toss the body on a rwd platform, fab up a transmission hump, driveshaft hump, and make room for the frame with the body by cutting and welding.

B) (drag racers usually) Look under a 3ed gen firebird/camaro, the body has a subframe and the unibody. the unibody holds the rear end in place. Move the rack and pinion setup foward, use a RWD hub knuckle or use a mustang II setup. driveshaft/tranny humps cut and welded.

A is much simpler then B, and I know im leaving a LOT out but depending what you plan on doing with the car, A is a LOT stronger and imo, a lot cleaner.

99% of the people on here talk a great game, if your not bullshitting about doing something like this, keep us updated with pics and what route you decide

My auto teacher at Universal Technical Institute told me he knows a guy that is building a 1st gen Lumina with a small block V8 and rear wheel drive. I need to find out more info about this. I thought it was BS at first, but he was serious.