Another Question About The CD Player For My Lumina

1990lumina

Alrighty, I have yet another question about the CD player for my Lumina. About a month ago I posted about the factory cd player for my car. I had gotten one from a wrecker which didn't work, I've had it at one repair shop, they quoted $150CAN for fixed it. Apparently one of the capacitors wasn't working, but again, apparently tyhe repairman told me with these old style cd players he can't isolate which capacitor wasn't functioning so he would have to replace all of them. I said to myself, what can be different from capacitors then and now, and the guy wants my money so that's why he's telling me he has to replace all the capacitors.

So I took it to another shop where it is right now. However, if it cannot be fixed and/or for a fair price I want to get the new style Delco deck. Someone posted that they had put on of these in their Beretta so I happen to have a Suburban with the same style radio (it has the tape deck instead of the cd player built it) but I think it is the same size and all. Anyway I took it out today I see if the plugs were the same and the size would fit into my Lumina. All the plugs fit except for the one that I think controls the backlights because I had it all plugged in and everytihng worked but I couldn't understand what this plug was for so I turned my lights on and the radio display shut off(the radio was still playing).

Also, my deck from my Lumina has a plastic nipple thing that goes into a bracket in the back of my dash. The radio from my Suburban does to, but the top half of the radio from the Suburban is about an inch longer then the bottom half where that black nipple screws onto. My problem is the Suburban radio has these plastic sliders on the sides because of how it mounts so I can't put in into my dash to see if the depth of the top half of the radio will fit in my dash.

So I have two questions, can my wiring harness be changed slighty for the plug that controls the back lights on the stereo by splicing in the correct plug on the end of the wire, or is that wire totally different? And, do I have enough clearance in the back of my dash to accomadate the extra inch at the top half of the stereo so the stereo fits?

Also, it would be awesome if anyone that has done this and has a picture was what it looks could post one. Thanks

Oh, I know I have to find a deck that doesn't have the cooling fan on the back as I know that will not fit (I think if the non-faned stereo deck fits it will be extremely tight fit). Here are some pictures of what the stereo looks like, and the back of the part that I am talking about that is about an inch longer.

delcocdplayer01.jpg

In the below picture the top part sticks out further, so that bottom black nipple will fit into my dash bracket in the back, but I don't know if there is enough room past there so the deck actually fits in far enough so the front bracket can be screwed into the dash and will fit flush.

delcocdplayer02.jpg

Thanks again

- Jeff L.

you can put any hu you want into your car, if you can find the wiring diagrams for them. i put a 97 olds cd/tape deck in my 90 gp. all i needed was the diagrams for the olds deck since i know the wiring in my car. a lot of the wiring will be the same as your car (power, ground, ign., etc.). but what might be different is if the car has an amp, or retained accessory power, or power antenna.

If your Lumina has the feature that illuminates the outside door keyhole and the dash (instruments, climate contols, radio and shift quadrant) the ONLY OEM radio/cassette/CD that will work properly is a Lumina-specific radio of '90-'94 vintage. Later Lumina radios and radios from other GM vehicles will plug in and play, but the lighting circuit won't work properly.

As far as I can tell, this illumination feature circuit is controlled inside the radio and no swapping of wires or other harness mods will work.