Anybody experienced a bad shimy under full accel?

SantaCruzTGP

Lately while under full acceleration usually between 1st and 2nd there's a shimmy on the right front. It feels like the wake up strips cut on the side of the freeways. It's weird and new. Anybody have an idea of what it could be? I'm thinking maybe tires off balance or loose drive shaft. The tires arent' breaking loose.

Before digging into it, I thought I'd get some input. Advise greatly appreciated!

-Jeromy

http://www.cardomain.com/id/santacruztgp

Is it a shimmy or a stutter? Stutter = tranny slipping!

Shimmy = Check your motor mounts and especially your tranny mount! Also check your steering tie rods and ends. Check your wheel bearings for play. Check your halfshafts for any irregularities.

Did you hit a curb or large hole in the street? 8)

I had this problem when one of my inner CV joints was screwed up - I pulled the joint apart when doin' the clutch and one of the trunions (sp?) fell off, and I didn't realize it for a couple hundred miles, then under acceleration I'd get a strange viberation, but it'd roll just fine.

--Dave.

I had this problem when one of my inner CV joints was screwed up - I pulled the joint apart when doin' the clutch and one of the trunions (sp?) fell off, and I didn't realize it for a couple hundred miles, then under acceleration I'd get a strange viberation, but it'd roll just fine.

--Dave.

On my Turbo Dodge I had a strange vibration/shimmy under hard acceleration and did motor mounts, tranny mount, alignment, and struts replaced, bearings looked brand new, steering tie rods solid. Still had the same goofy feel...took my CV joints apart to clean and regrease....found the spring in the inner CV joint was broken in half not making the halfshaft sit properly with an "extension load" on it. Replaced it with a brand new half-shaft from NAPA...SMOOTH AS GLASS man!! 8)

• 2 weeks later...

My WOT take of shimmy was my Coils and the ignition module its all good now except the Cradle mounts are now gone so shes parked.

sorry about the spelling been working 90+ hours a week and no sleep....

Definately check the lugnuts if you have not done it already. I had a bad vibration on the left front and it kept getting slightly worse, and then all the sudden got really bad. I pulled over on the side of the road and one of the studs was broken off and the other 4 lugnuts came off with my finger.

Also, does it feel like its in the suspension, or does it feel like the drivetrain? If it feels like the drivetrain I am thinking of two things. It could be the tranny slipping, which in these cars is never a good thing. And also, although its kinda unlikely, it could be the fuel cut for the boost in the topgun chip. It kinda feels like a rev limiter, and maybe the car is getting too much boost for some reason. (I am doubting this one though)

Shawn

So, I've got a steep hill near my house, when i say steep, I mean steep. Going down I can get to 55 mph in a heartbeat on my mountain bike.

So when going up that hill or anywhere, let's say when you put your foot into it, near max torque, and turbo kicks in, it's when the shimmy occurs, I raised the front end, I checked all the lugnuts and fiddled with the control arms, they seem to be tight and play free.

Seems to me, it looks like the tranny is slipping or something else internal. I haven't checked the tranny mounts yet either, heck I don't know where they are, yet. I just got a jack and stands so I can get under her.

If I need to, I guess I could have it repaired at a local tranny shop, but they probably don't have a clue on how to work on it. My luck.