electrical problems for 97 GP, what are they

Goph

well here is the thing I'm worried about. I'm going to be putting my system is that take over 80 amps and i know that i will be making the lights dim a lot and taking a lot of strain on the electrical system to start.

I'm sure i will fry the alternator some time but i can get a 160 amp for just over 200 if i want.

Just a piece of advice. Don't ever buy a GM vehicle in it's first model year of production (like the 97 GP) because you're asking for problems. GM needs a good year to 2 years of model runs before it gets all the bugs worked out of a new model. It's always been that way in the past, and it still seems to be that way now (I've heard a couple of bad things about the 97 GP's especially.) Also, the longer a GM model (or platform) has been in production, the better the quality and reliability (ex. 93-94 Cavaliers and 92-96 Cutlass Cieras and Centurys immediately come to mind) compared to earlier models, since they've had many many years to work all the bugs out...

The 97's have horrible problems with the gas gauge not working correctly (it will basically read a 1/4 no matter what). I've seen at least 4-5 that have had the same problem, and apparently its not as simple as fixing the sending unit, not that thats a cheap repair in and of itself.

everyone claims how the 97 grand prix are full of bugs, from what i've seen it's not that bad and i believe ClubGP has write ups on how to fix those problems which i think consist of 2 wiring harnas, my friend bill, he has a 97 GTP, and he has had a few problems with the electrical,and its just been nothing more then a minor nuciance. however its my understanding that the 97 grand prix had the highest rate of factory freaks Personally if i found a 97 prix that i liked, the year woulden't make any difference to me.

I'm with White93Z34 on this one. If the car is nice and its going for a good price go for it. Most of the problems are an easy fix, and those that aren't are no worse than owning one of our cars. Plus the 97' GTP's have the upside of not being a seperate model and can be listed simply as a GT on insurance witch should save you money since they don't know its supercharged.

everyone claims how the 97 grand prix are full of bugs, from what i've seen it's not that bad and i believe ClubGP has write ups on how to fix those problems which i think consist of 2 wiring harnas, my friend bill, he has a 97 GTP, and he has had a few problems with the electrical,and its just been nothing more then a minor nuciance. however its my understanding that the 97 grand prix had the highest rate of factory freaks Personally if i found a 97 prix that i liked, the year woulden't make any difference to me.

that is one thing i don't want, minor nuciance things that happen a lot. I have been throw hell with my car and I'm yet to go more then 3 months with out it needing to go into the shop for something. I DO NOT want a car that i have to worry about something going wrong.

I DO NOT want a car that i have to worry about something going wrong.

When you find that, could you please let the rest of us know about it, cause that would be super.

:lol: Yeah really!

If your really that worried get a 98+. 99-00 are the best years imo.

When you find that, could you please let the rest of us know about it, cause that would be super.

The end of all car troubles :lol: :lol:

I'll be sure to do that but i'm sure it is not going to be a GM car.

You know what i mean, I want something that i can drive for a long time with out it going into the shop. Like i think i said, this car is yet to go more then 3 months with out going in to the shop. It is also yet to go a year on the same engine for the time i had it but that is because the first rebuilt one that was in it should have never been but in the car with low compression and a cracked head that was not known.

You know what i mean, I want something that i can drive for a long time with out it going into the shop. Like i think i said, this car is yet to go more then 3 months with out going in to the shop. It is also yet to go a year on the same engine for the time i had it but that is because the first rebuilt one that was in it should have never been but in the car with low compression and a cracked head that was not known.

I, along with almost everyone else here, think you've got one hell of a shitty car. I've owned my GM for 3 years. Hasn't been in the shop ONCE. My previous GM car, I owned for a year - 70,000 miles, again, never left me. I don't know what kinda situation you have going on.

I, along with almost everyone else here, think you've got one hell of a shitty car. I've owned my GM for 3 years. Hasn't been in the shop ONCE. My previous GM car, I owned for a year - 70,000 miles, again, never left me. I don't know what kinda situation you have going on.

got the car at a auto action, had water in the oil when we got it but they forgot to tell use that when it was checked out, the head gaskets blew 2 weeks after that. less then 6 months after they were fixed spun a rod bearing because it was driven too long with water in the oil. Put a rebuilt engine in but it was rebuilt bad so under warranty another went in and this one is ok now. Injectors have started to go bad and the tranny too.

the car was not taken care of how it should have been before i got it so that is one reason it is hell to me with just over 93k miles on it. I didn't buy it because if i did i wouldn't have it right now because i wanted to sell it a year ago but my dad never listen to me and i could have saved him over 1k in repairs if he would have.

The main reason i wanted to know what some of the problems are with the 97 GP is because most likely the car i get will come from the action again and you don't have much time to look over them and you don't know what is wrong many times. I want to get one from a privet owner or a dealer but I'm not buying it.

My friend has a 1997 GTP. Absolutely no problems except the low coolant light comes on sometimes. The only problems they really have is the ABS wheel hub sensors.. even then it's a rare occasion.