Strange seat cover question

Darkness

I see a lot of GPs getting parted out all the time that have perfect rear buckets. My front buckets are pretty worn out and have covers on them right now, which I really don't care for.

My question is; has anyone ever tried taking the skins off of a good set of rear buckets and putting them on the fronts? Or maybe take the skins and padding and put them on the front bucket backs. My 300-way power seat thingy is not working anyway, so that is not a big deal. Aside from the split seat that the fronts have, how different are they really?

Any opinions?

I've taken skins off both the front and rear buckets and Turby is 100% right, rear is too small. They also don't have covering on the back part. I would say if your front seats are ripped you could either get different ones that have working motors, or just find some that have material in decent shape and then pull the covers off all of your seats and dye them with RIT clothing dye. That's what I used on mine and they turned out really good and since the dye is made for clothing the dye doesn't come off on your clothes. It also works great for people who have faded seats that has material in good shape. The dye makes them look like new, and when you put it back on the seats instead of using the little metal o-rings you can use zip ties which will pull the material tight to the frame and make them feel more like sitting on new seats too. Mine are much more comfortable now.

I've taken skins off both the front and rear buckets and Turby is 100% right, rear is too small. They also don't have covering on the back part. I would say if your front seats are ripped you could either get different ones that have working motors, or just find some that have material in decent shape and then pull the covers off all of your seats and dye them with RIT clothing dye. That's what I used on mine and they turned out really good and since the dye is made for clothing the dye doesn't come off on your clothes. It also works great for people who have faded seats that has material in good shape. The dye makes them look like new, and when you put it back on the seats instead of using the little metal o-rings you can use zip ties which will pull the material tight to the frame and make them feel more like sitting on new seats too. Mine are much more comfortable now.

Hmmmmm..... I want black seats... I may have toi do this.. MommyTaze, would you be willing to make a detailed write up and the skin removal? I have GP Buckets in the front, and will prolly go to a Coupe rear bench.. Then dye it black until I canb get my charcoal leather.. Thanks for the info!!

dying them does work, but hell cloth w-body seats are cheap in yards....removing the skins in my Spyder was a bitch, I only did it to replace them with leather, I would have never done it just to swap color, it wouldn't have been worth my time...

I like the Zip-Tie idea except for one thing. When Zip-Ties get old, they get brittle and they either break apart, or the little tab that locks it in place loses its grip and the whole thing loosens.

All this coming from a guy who just used zip ties to hold the front license plate on his "new" car :lol: . (What can I say, I haven't got off my lazy ass to go to the boneyard to find a front license plate holder yet :lol: ...)

dying them does work, but hell cloth w-body seats are cheap in yards....removing the skins in my Spyder was a bitch, I only did it to replace them with leather, I would have never done it just to swap color, it wouldn't have been worth my time...

Try finding w-body seats in the junkyard that aren't ripped to hell, faded to hell, water logged, and have the power working. It's just a way for people who have seats that are faded but the material s in good condition to make them look nice, or for others who maight want rear buckets but can't find ones that match the seats they have to get them, have them look nice, and not have dye all over their clothes like how the "set paint" does.