Steering rack ratios....mine SUCKS

TeeJay3800

The steering ratio on my Cutlass absolutely sucks! It has to have one of the slowest ratio steering racks I've ever driven. My car is loaded to the gills, but if there was an optional quicker-ratio rack, mine definetely didn't get it!

Was there more than one steering ratio available in W-bodies, and if so, what were they??

Well I don't know the exact ratios, but I can tell you that my Regal has a "slower" ratio than my Grand Prix does. Also the Grand Prix seems to have less power assist than the Regal does, and the wheel returns to center quicker. If I could use one word to describe each car's steering, I'd call the Regal "lazy" and the GP "rubbery."

Disco got it right about the Regals. They have lazy steering :lol: But ive gotten used to it and like it alot. The steering on my dads Acura TL type S and my moms Lexas es300 is so tight compared to my car.

Just wanted to add, the Lumina is somewhere between the Regal and Grand Prix as far as feel and quickness go. It seems more "normal" than either of my other 2 cars do. Maybe each division of GM had their own ratios, who knows??? I'd like to take a 96 Regal Grand Sport for a spin and see how it feels compared to my 95 Custom. Probably more like the Lumina would be my guess...

actually there's 4:

Super super easy rack (3 turns): '90+ base models- Cutlass Supreme, Regal

easy rack: (2.75 turns or so) - '92+ Cutlass Supreme SL, most GP base models

Harder rack (2.5) - GP SE '88-93, CS Intl (all), Many Lumina Euros

Quickest ratio: TGP (2.25 turns) but I think the ratio is the same, it just has a shorter lock to lock distance because of possibly the wheel/tire width?

Actually, i believe that it is more so the combination of suspension and tires. Both my 88 and 89 Regal have 3 turns. My 88 Ltd. had the tightest handling of any car that i had ever driven. My GS is a little bit slower in responding. BTW, my 88 has dynaride suspension and the GS has the Gran Touring suspension, which is softer than the dynaride.

There's also the Magnasteer rack that was put into the 95-96' Cutlass with the 3.4 and possibly 95-96' GP's with the 3.4 as well. I don't know the ratio on it, but I do know that I hate it.