undercoating and other winterizing..

THe_DeTAiL3R

I want to get my car undercoated for the winter.... the greasy messy kind not the hard tar-like kind cause I believe it works better at not trapping moisture (making rust worse).

Also I'm gonna be slapping on some 215/70?/15s on my old 88' sawblade wheels to plow through the snow. Got 2 Michelin X1s that I'll either put in the front or the back, depending if I find real winter tires for cheap. I just don't want to mess up my polished crosslace wheels, and I still need to get 2 of them polished and paint them.

I will probably use 5w30 when I change my oil sometime as well.

Anything else people here are doing?

The greasy stuff works well. I heard a brand people really rave about is "waxoyl", but there are instructions out there on how you can whip up your own that works just as well.

Esso XD-3 0W30 motor oil, new brake pads, a new alternator, and have cleaned debris out of the body vent drains.

The Esso XD-3 0W30 oil is very interesting, in that, it allows for starts down to roughly -50C, yet has properties nearly identical to that of 10W30 while hot and running. Its fairly cheap, $15 for a 4L jug, which is very cheap in the realm of synthetic oil in Canada.

Along with everything listed above I installed a battery blanket and car warmer so I don't have to scrape windows to often because I don't get to use the garage :( . I also just replaced my alternator last night and everything seems to be working very good so far.

- Jeff L.

I use fluidfilm brand undercoat, protects well and comes off easy for the summer. As for snow tires, you had better use 4 tires and not 2. Using 2 snows and 2 summers I would not reccomend, just as well to have no tires.

I use michelin ice radials on all 4 corners, awesome traction.

i had remote start on my phantom, man that was great. before school, just hit the button and when you get out to the car, the engine is all warmed up and the inside is toasty warm

flush the radiator so your sure the mixture is right and all the crap gets out. put in a 180/195 t-stat. goto autozone and have them check the battery/alternator (i HATE working there). check all 4 brakes. a lighter oil if your car isnt high milage, ive always run 10w30 year round here in mass and never had an oiling issue.

I flushed my rad about 2 months ago and put in a new 195 stat, so it should be all good. I have brand new brakes all around too. I've only had the car since the summer and in that time replaced alot of stuff to get it safetied. I still want to drop the pan and change my tranny fluid though..