Need some help again

HokemBokem

I got my codes scanned today at Auto Zone and this is whats comin up:

P0441 EVAP system no flow during purge

P0442 Same thing he said

So I was wondering if any of you guys have had this problem or know how to fix it?

Well, most of us on the board don't own OBD II equipped cars to even know what the codes mean, so I don't know what to tell ya there. Check the Chiltons to see if it offers up any solution. Next would be to check out one of those gigantic repair manuals they have parked in the Reference section at your local public Library...

Was your Service Engine Soon light lit up in the first place?

Yea and i found the EVAP system in the chilton( I have no clue where it is on my car though) And it says it has no flow during purge???? I dont know what there talking about but i was searching around for it and someone said they fixed it by replacing a silanoid? I dont know what that is either. Im very lost

I wanted to learn how... I dont know much but im going to learn everything I can. And Dave my dad said the same thing to just ignore it. I will just have to get used to having the service engine soon light on or put some electrical tape over it or something.

Well, fwiw you can throw this code if the gascap isnt securely tightened. However, if you seem to keep throwing this code, this theory is out the window.

Drew

I saw that today when i was searching for info. My cap is plenty tight though so i think its a silinoid. I dont think ill worry about it though

It could be that it's a problem where the filler tube connects to the tank.. I had that problem on my Dodge pickup, it wasn't that expensive to fix, they just needed to tighten it down with a new gasket. That check engine light pisses me off, though... I'd try to fix it (even if it means going to a garage)

It could be that it's a problem where the filler tube connects to the tank.. I had that problem on my Dodge pickup, it wasn't that expensive to fix, they just needed to tighten it down with a new gasket. That check engine light pisses me off, though... I'd try to fix it (even if it means going to a garage)

My cars gotten a lot of repairs lately and im already in debt. So taking it in the garage will be a last resort thing and this problem doesent seem that big of a deal. The service engine light is annoying tho :x

usually when we see that code in the shop i work at we go right to the gas cap...if its TIGHT...then it may be a bad gas cap...we've also had people get BAD gas caps from auto parts stores (brand new...but now working correctly)...any EVAP code we usually pinpoint to gas cap...just my 2 cents...i hope it helps...the first thing i'd try is a new cap (cause it shouldn't cost to much $) :wink:

the restricted/no flow thing is different then a gas cap fault.

the canister purge no flow means that the charcoal cansiter under the car near the gas tank (if I remember correctly) isn't flowing, either because of a pluged hose, or the solenoid isn't working properly.

it wouldn't be that hard of a fix, just time consuming, and a PITA.

--Dave.

I got my codes scanned today at Auto Zone and this is whats comin up:

P0441 EVAP system no flow during purge

P0442 Same thing he said

What engine do ya have dude?

I'm not sure if yours is just like mine, but that sounds like its referring to the canister purge solenoid; when the computer is requesting a purge, your solenoid is not opening to release the fumes from the charcoal canister.

If you have the kind with a two wire harness, you can take a 9volt battery and test if the solenoid will open or not. If you can find your solenoid, remove both vacuum lines, and put a piece of hose on one end of the solenoid, (a piece of hose that you wouldn't mind blowing through :lol: ), connect the 9v battery, and blow. If you can blow through the solenoid, it's open of course. Then I would check for a plugged vacuum line, either from your charcoal canister to the purge solenoid, and from the solenoid to the intake.

I would try that shit but I have no clue where this thing is located on my car. I remember when I first bought the car it had the service engine light on and we got it scanned and fixed, and one of the things that was bad was the evap canister(the black metal box with like charcol or something in it). Now this thing is happening. What will happen if I dont do anything about this problem.

Also I might go buy a new gas cap today bc I want one with a lock anyway.

What will happen if I dont do anything about this problem.

Nothing really. Your evap canister just stores the gas fumes while your car is not running, then purges the fumes during normal operation. I couldn't see your situation causing any real trouble, unless your solenoid decided to open up during your emissions test. :lol:

The only problem I've ever heard of from an evap canister, is if you fill your gas tank way past F, some of the gas can enter your evap canister, the the purge solenoid sucks gas into your intake.

also, I believe http://autozone.com/ has a component locator.