92 lumina 3.1

BrendonSAIT

hey everyone... ever since i got it, my lumina's been having some trouble making up her mind. one minute, the gas gauge reads half full... the next it's almost empty.

It usually only does this when i'm below a half tank, above, it doesn't move too much.

it's been getting annoying lately because it'll go WAY down past the bloody empty sign, then come only about half way back to where it was.

any easy way to fix this without pulling the tank out and addressing the floater?

Thanks

i believe your problem is that you own a early 90's gm car, the gas gauge past half is not accurate at all. it's something to get used to.

Edit: personally i use my trip counter to measure how much gas i have left, generally 300miles means i'm almost empty.

i'm tempted to pull apart my spare cluster and see what may break that lets the trip meeter not count. i know sometimes after i reset mine it may not start counting again and sometimes i have to push the reset button a few times.

i'm tempted to pull apart my spare cluster and see what may break that lets the trip meeter not count. i know sometimes after i reset mine it may not start counting again and sometimes i have to push the reset button a few times.

I remember I hit that reset once in my old car and the actual odometer stopped turning! I hit it and it started again :?

My trip OD has been stuck at half of 2 and 00 since I've had the car. The button jams easily. I haven't needed to use it, though I've seen the gas gauge fluctuate. When it gets below the line, it generally seems to just fly to "E". It's freaky, I don't want to be stranded :willynilly:

Haha, but it's fun to have less then a quarter left in the tank then a take corner really fast and watch the guage go past the empty mark then back up lol. I usual fill up when I hit the first yellow line even though the owner's manual says there will be gas remaining even after the guage is really empty..

I too use the trip meter and can usually get 550-600km from a tank, but only 200km of that is form the last half of the guage. When I fill my car the guage goes way past the full mark, so maybe thats why..

- Jeff L.

I love people that love their low fuel lights. We have had a few people come into the dealership as no starts with absolutely no gas in their tanks. We throw a couple gallons in, they start right up. We'll ask them, why didn't you gas up when you saw the fuel was low? Because my low fuel light didn't come on. :roll: The best is when the car isn't even equipped with one. That's when we charge them the 1 hour diagnostic/stupidity fee. If people are that damn stupid to let their gas run out and not know what's wrong, they deserve a hit to the wallet. They'll never learn otherwise.

If my trip odometer breaks I dont know what I would do.. Right now its my rolling counter for how many miles are on my new engine. Since it seems damn near impossible or too expensive to roll back the original miles on the OD I'm hoping it never breaks