this car worth it?

Marcus18

1989 turbo red with tan leather loaded no sun roof(if thats an option)

122000 miles

no power if you apply more than half throttle.

it's suppose to be in good condition other than that.

he's telling me about the nada.com value which is $3200-$9100

"put a thousand into it and get $7000 out of it in a few years. there value is going up"

$2500

I want the car and I'm going to try for $2000 even

what do you guys think?

I'm checking it out tonight

-----------------------------update------------------------------------------

checked it out. fuel light, engine light, bad antenna motor. clunk when going around 25 and giveing it gas to downshift he says transmission. bad motor mounts feel the motor move when going in drive and reverse(don't know if thats related to the clunk). lower front bumper has normal scratches. wear on driver seat. distributer o-ring leaks. misses alittle at idle off and on. above half throttle it starts missing alot..coils maybe?. idles at a steady 1100rpm. he replaced the master cylinder a year ago. the brake pedal is springy and you can feel bad rotors or something through it. master cylinder comes on every time you press the pedal.

overall visually it's excellent. I'm not sure about the price though.

he says it will sit in his yard forever is he doesn't get atleast $2400.

"It's a $28,000 car new" he needs a reality check.

what do you guys think?

marcus

I think he's on crack, and you should move on. Their value is NOT going up, it's still dropping gradually. $7K in a few years??? That guy on eBay couldn't get 6K for his 29K mile mint condition one (and I mean MINT) after 3 tries. For the amount of mechanical work it's going to need, it literally isn't worth over $1,000 to me. He'd have to get everything running perfectly for what he's asking.

1000 tops... considering what I'm getting mine for...i have no idea what no power after 1/2 could mean. If the paint/interior's good though I'd say that I'd risk $1000, at least after spending some time trying to diagnose it.

If you don't have the money to put some work in to it, then stay away.

If you do, then it'd be a good project car. Crossover is probably shot, tranny is shot, there's a good chunk of change right there.

For some reason the NADA classic car values are a bit... far fetched..

I tried to use those figures against my insurance company when they estimated for hail damage. They ended up appraising the car at $2750, but the guy told me, 'according to their (NADA's) classic car division, the 57' Chevy I have sitting in my garage is worth $22k. If that was anywhere near true, i would have sold it long ago'.

I (like the rest of us) wish these cars would have the same heritage (and re-sale value) as the Grand Nationals do. I don't think we'll see anything like that for a long time.

unless he comes down I think I'm going to go to the wholesale auctions and look for and tgp or 95-96gtp. I went there 2 weeks ago and they sold a 94 bonneville ran perfect they drove it in only problem was pealing clearcoat for $600 I kicked myself for not bidding.

thanks

marcus