1996 Cutlass Keyless Entry Programming

harrydunn

Lost my keys and have located a used keyless entry transmitter on ebay. Dealer wanted $90 plus 1/2-hour of labor to program. I'm going out on a limb here to hopefully make him look like a fool instead of me for paying that much.

So, just how does one go about programming one of these things?

Thanks.

there is a wire behind the carpet by the power antenna, you need to ground that wire, which should cause the locks to "cycle"....keep the wire grounded then push the buttons on the key fob.....unground wire....

the above should work....never pay the dealer for something that easy...

I believe I may have located it. There is the antenna wire which is obivously connected to the external antenna and then a wire behind it taped in the same loom. It terminates with a connector on the end and nothing plugged into it. Is this what I'm looking for? If so, I believe I can take a wire with some alligator clips and ground it to the antenna bolt in the trunk. There is no paint on it so I should get a good ground.

Thanks.

Yes, that is the bolt I used when programming my FOBs. I just put it straight on the bolt with one hand and pressed a button on the FOB to program it with the other (no need for aligator clips). FYI, if you are programming more than 1 FOBs, you must do them both at the same time while the wire is grounded.

What color is the wire in question? I was kinda digging around in my Regal and I saw a purple wire that came out of the loom and went back into the passenger compartment. I never tugged on it, but I was wondering if that was the RKE programming wire. If it isn't, then I have to remove my amp board to gain access to the antenna area if I want to program in a new transmitter :x ...

What color is the wire in question? I was kinda digging around in my Regal and I saw a purple wire that came out of the loom and went back into the passenger compartment. I never tugged on it, but I was wondering if that was the RKE programming wire. If it isn't, then I have to remove my amp board to gain access to the antenna area if I want to program in a new transmitter :x ...

I forget what color the wire was on my car, just ground it and see what happens. If the doors unlock, you have found it.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got my fob in (had to be the slowest eBay transaction in history). Located the wire in the trunk, grounded it to the antenna bolt with a sheetrock screw I had in my toolbox and away they went. The locks/trunk release started cycling. I hit the remote buttons like I was told, took off the ground and they work like new. Thanks to all who contributed for your help.

Just to recap:

Dealer wanted:

$90 for new fob (insane)

$30 to program (1/2 labor)

-------------------------------

$120 (and I'd be pissed)

Actual cost:

$14 fob on eBay

$0 programming

-------------------

$14 (and no pissage-took a while to get the fob but the dealer would have had to order one as well)

• 3 months later...

I am trying to get my keyless entry to work. When I bought the car, it did not come with any key fobs. Found one on Ebay, put new batteries in it, grounded the connector in the trunk, the door locks and trunk release cylced through, pressed the button on the remote and nothing.

The way I see it, it is one of two problems, the key fob doesn't work or the RKE receiver doesn't work. Please advise as to how to track this down. I will try to get my hands on another remote first.

Also, I have a 95 Cutlass convertible, can you please tell me where the RKE receiver is located. I am not sure what it looks like, therefore I need your help in locating it.

Thanks in advance.