Horrible Noise! What do I do?

buckethead

Well I was running an errand and on my way back to the office my car made this horrible screach noise as i accelerated after a stoplight. Now, my car is vibrating bad at idle and has very little power to accelerate. I looked under the hood and there doesn't seem to be anything obvious wrong with it.

But then again I'm retarded... Please Help!!!

PS: this happened just after I filled up with gas.

Best case scenario would be that your alternator might have locked up on ya. Pull the serp belt and spin the pulley on the alt. While the belt's off, spin everything by hand (even put a socket on the crank pulley and spin the motor by hand...) Is the belt all scorched? If it is, then something most definitely locked up on you...

Well I checked and all accessories seem to be rotating freely.. the belt is not broken or scorched. I took it out for another spin and it the power seems to be much better, although it is running decidedly more lawnmowerish... that is that it is still vibrating and sounds more like, well, a lawnmower... there's no fluids leaking and no smells, Maybe the timing got thrown off a little?

Well I checked and all accessories seem to be rotating freely.. the belt is not broken or scorched. I took it out for another spin and it the power seems to be much better, although it is running decidedly more lawnmowerish... that is that it is still vibrating and sounds more like, well, a lawnmower... there's no fluids leaking and no smells, Maybe the timing got thrown off a little?

last time I had a car that sounded like a lawn mower and power loss it was one of my coil packs...just my 2 cents.

The horrible noise was like a metal on metal sound, but I wasn't using the ac at all when it happened. However when i drove it home yesterday i turned the ac on and the engine shook much much worse, so that could be it. But it still worked, if the compressor went, would i still be getting cold air from it?

It sucks cause i got no cash to fix it, if it's something simple i'd like to do it myself, except I'm a horrible diagnostician.

if the a/d compressor was screwed up, it may work, it may not, it's kind a 50/50 thing - but at the same time, if the engine isn't running right already, then you can't determine that the AC is the cause of the problem, mostly because if you put a load on an already problematic engine you will only see more problems (or the same problems more, just much worse).

it honestly sounds like somehting in the valvetrain, perhapps a lifter that pumped up to high and tagged a valve, perhaps the timing chain clipped a notch, perhapps you lost a cam bearing.

The only way to tell if it's a bearing is to change the oil, if the oil that comes out is either shiney, sparkly or has a green tint to it, you've most likely lost a bearing.

There could be litereally HUNDREDS of things that could be wrong with it, if you said all the belt driven accessories are spinning fine then I'd rule those out, and do a compression check.

--Dave

Well, I'm too stupid to figure this one out, so I'm off to the mechanic to see what the damage is... Always comes at the worst time when i got no cashish to get the job done.