Iceberg alternator/Canadian source

pitzel

Hi. My current alternator is on its way out, so I am contemplating replacing it with an iceberg modified alternator, such as the one found here:

http://www.alternatorparts.com/cs130_&_cs130d_alt.htm

Any comments on these, will they actually last longer? Mine has been making the infamous 'supercharger whine' for quite a while now (as long as I've owned the car), and now it seems to be failing electrically, so its time for a replacement.

Also, am looking for a Canadian source of the same. Anyone, I'd like to get this ordered by Monday, hopefully before my existing one totally gives out on me.

Okay, tried pulling the alternator tonight in the bitter cold and snow falling on the ground. Needless to say, I'm not pleased at doing it under these conditions.

The top two 10mm bolts are fairly easy to remove, but how does one remove the bottom bolt, in my case, a 15mm bolt? I might be able to get a ratchet and an extension back there if I remove the MAP bracket from the intake plenum, but otherwise? Does the engine tilting trick make alternator removal a piece of cake?

If I have to do the engine tilting trick to accomplish this, I may as well replace the plugs back there and buy myself a good flask of liquor to do it all in the cold. Anyone? I wish I had a heated garage, lol, my next house I guess ;-)