Question about our 3100, 3400's ... etc.

cryptnix

On the 3100, 3400 motors how much can the bottom end handle? Just out of curriousity. I have a friend who thinks that the bottom end on the 3800's suck. I just want to prove to him that his uncle doesn't know jack shit (who is supposed to be a mechanic) about what he's talking about cause I know that the bottom end of the L67 can handle a nice load of 500HP (but was actually proven wrong by that turbo charged l67).

His uncle says that a 3100 with Nitrous would perform better then a L67 any day. (accounting for upgrades and whatnot on the l67 too)

well first off a 3800 and an L67 bottom end are quite similar as far as the strenght of the componets are concerned and the block themselvs are excataly the same. The L67 is a SCed 3800 with lower compression.

There are supercharged and turboed L36s (code designation for the NA 3800). Running low 12s with stock internals, yes thats right stock.

As far as the 60* motors go (which while being called 3100 and 3400 are not at all like the 3800, completley different design).

The castiron block and crank as well as stock rods have shown to handle quite a bit of punishment. Currently I know of at least 4 cars running 10-12psi turbo on 3x00 motors on stock internals and stock 9.5:1 compression. I would say a stock 3400 block could hold up to about 400-450 ponies if you wanted it too. Though I would question if the rods and pistions would hold up long on a stock compression ratio.