Tackling the first of the problems

GP1138

Ok, I went and pulled codes on the new Euro. She's running a fever of 23 and 43.

Other symptoms include: fires right up when cold, but warms up and stalls. Subsequently won't start until she's cold again unless the gas is pressed.

23: CODE 23

Trouble Code 23 indicates that the Manifold Air Temperature (MAT) sensor or Intake Air Temperature (IAT) is reading lower than expected. When the air is cold, the thermistor has a high resistance, which falls as the air charge warms. Low readings thus indicate possible open circuits in MAT circuit.

Code 23 will set if:

* MAT reading is < -31 deg F (-35 deg C)

* Time since engine start is 4 minutes or longer.

* Vehicle speed less than 1 mph

* Start-up coolant temperature is less than or equal to -35.5 C (31.9 F).

* All conditions met for 10 sec.

Typical causes for this code include:

1. Defective MAT or IAT sensor

2. Open sensor ground circuit

3. Dirty or corroded connection(s) at MAT/IAT and/or ECM

4. Open circuit between the ECM and the MAT/IAT sensor

5. Defective ECM

43: CODE 43

Trouble Code 43 indicates that there may be a malfunction in the Electronic Spark Control (ESC) circuit. ESC is used to sense spark knock (pinging) and retard the timing to eliminate it. The knock sensor is located at the rear of the engine block. The ECM will retard the timing by as much as 20 degrees in 1 degree increments. A loss of knock sensor signal or loss of ground at the ESC module will cause the signal at the ECM to remain high. The ECM will act as if no knock is present, and may possibly result in engine damage, due to detonation.

Code 43 is set when:

* Voltage at Knock Sensor is above 4.8 volts or below .64 volts.

* Either condition is met for about 10 seconds.

Possible causes:

1. Open or shorted knock sensor

2. Loose knock sensor

3. Excessive mechanical noise within engine

4. Improper or incorrectly installed MEM-CAL in the ECM or defective ECM

5. Intermittent open in the EST line to the ignition module

Hmm.. that 43 code isn't sounding wonderful. :?

good luck....hope you get her into shape soon....I love how the auction said something to the effect of "runs great"

Yeah. I noticed that too. The car runs, but it definitely doesn't run "great". I kind of expected this, though.

I just remembered, the PS pump is also flicking fluid everywhere. I changed the entire pump when that happened to my Prix, but I read somewhere there's a simple seal I can change to fix this problem:?:

Guest TurboSedan

i drove my Cutlass around for probably a month with the knock sensor completely disconnected (the plug broke). it ran ok but didn't have much power. i was told the ECM defaulted to a 'safe' timing level...probably retarded it by quite a bit. i'd check to make sure both the AIT and KS are plugged in...you may want to disconnect them and clean the connections with CRC Quick Dry electrical contact cleaner then plug them back in. disconnect the negative terminal (reset codes) and see if you get code 23 or 43 again. inspect the KS and AIT wiring as well, ecspecially for burnt or chafed wires that might be grounding out against the engine block or something.