got new cluster, speed still doens't register!

BlueCutSupreme

ok i bought an analog cluster out of a 92 cutlass off of ebay. Strangely, the oil, temp. and voltage guages all work, no altering of switches to "senders" was needed.... Anyway, my speedometer, tach, and odometer do not register anything as was the problem with my digital (with the exception i didn't have a tach with the digital). I thought buyin a new cluster would fix the problem but the problem obviously does not lie within the speedometer itself. What should i look for now? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated, thanks

Well, the VSS(vehicle speed sensor) could be to blame, also I suppose the signal from the VSS might go through the ECM, and then there's wiring itself.... The tach doesn't work because you need to run another wire from the ALDL conn. to your gauges.

Oil pressure will show you false reading it may look like it works but really it will not work correctly until you change it to a sender and with remperature it will go up and down a little bit but same thing its not accurate and i say its way off because 1st when i connected it i thought the same thing but when i changed it to switches then i got the correct readings.

ok well so i was wrong bout the senders then..thanks tho

anyway where is all this stuff located? in my cutlass where is the VSS located? it's not inside the ECM is it? i need lots of help on this cuz i don't feel like takin it in and payin someone else to do it, what kind of a learning experience would that be?

well first of all, if they hardly go bad then i might not need to get a new one, somehtin in mine just might be loose or somethin else.....how bout this VSS thing? and how would i go about hookin the tach up

I was taking about VSS the speed sensor that i think they hardly go bad but everything in a car can go bad so go to mechanic so he can check it. Clusters especially the digital ones go bad very often not sure about the analog ones and never knew anybody that had problems with them. I had problems with couple base electronic ones but since i changed to analog and my friend has analog one we dont have any problems with them and i think they were more reliable then digital ones.

check to make sure power is getting into the cluster. i had absolutely nothing working on my cluster, and checked for voltage at the power in and there was none so i ran a jumper from the fuse block to the cluster and my speedo and odo now work. i think the rest of the cluster is bad tho, so im waiting on a new one that im bidding on ebay.

Does your cruise control work?

If YES then there is a problem with the wiring to the cluster.

If NO, then there is a problem with either your ECM or the VSS.

The VSS is the speed sensor mounted on your transmission. I believe it's mounted on the passenger side close to where the CV shaft goes into it. You might have to pull the wheel to even see it.

The VSS sends an alternating signal to the ECM. The ECM converts this signal to negative pulses and sends it to the instrument cluster and cruise control unit. So it could be VSS, ECM, or associated wiring in between.

Also, the VSS is usually specific to the tranny so a universal one from Summit Racing will not work. You will have to go to an autoparts store and get one designed for the car.

The cruise operates independently from the speedo, so unless your cruise is dead for some other reason like a broken vacuum hose, it sounds like you have no signal on the VSS wire. I'd be looking at the VSS on the tranny or the ECM. It'll be harder to tell where the problem lies without plugging in a computer scanner, but you could always use a multimeter and check for AC voltage coming out of the VSS on the trans. If there is some voltage present (it won't be much, maybe a few hundred millivolts), then your ECM is bad.