it's just one damn thing after another

stockgp

went to start my car after i fixed the tranny cooler lines, looked under the car and oil is POURING out of the oil filter. what the f*ck. i checked it, it's tight. actually, it's tight enough i can't get it off by hand. so what now? any ideas? if this keeps up i'll just part the damn thing out

have you changed the oil recnetly?...if so, did you make sure the old gasket came out with you're filter?...cause sometimes the gasket sticks to the block and when you put the new filter on it won't seal...its happend to me before...JUST A THOUGHT! :wink:

There isnt a hole in the filter is there? SOmetimes people are smart asses and run around fuckin AutoZone poking holes in filters.. Also, did you over tigfhten it and make a crack? Are you 100% sure its coming from the filter, or is it coming from the plug? I have to change the little gasket around the base of the oil plug every other oil change, otherwise the fucker just DROOLS the oil out.. Good luck, and make sure to update w/ any progress..

yes i just changed the oil. i never even thought to check the gasket, i've never had one not come off with the filter. no, i checked and there weren't any holes. i tightened it by hand, so i doubt i could have cracked it

some oil filters leak

i changed my oil about a month ago, used an AC Delco oil filter. that filter leaks about half a quart a week. i think it's the filter because it's covered in oil, and the leak started as soon as i changed the oil. it isn't double gasketed either.

yes i just changed the oil. i never even thought to check the gasket, i've never had one not come off with the filter. no, i checked and there weren't any holes. i tightened it by hand, so i doubt i could have cracked it

well, it sounds like it could be the gasket to me, you might wanna check that...it is very RARE...but i've had it happen to me about twice...and i've done 100's of oil changes on all kinds of different cars...

Ive never once had a filter leak, if your filter is leaking you either ended up double gasketed, the filter is damaged, or it was installed improperly

i say i got a defective filter. mine isn't cross-threaded or double-gasketed.

i'll have to check the gasket tomorrow. it's getting too dark to do it now. only problem is the filter is coated in oil now. that means i can't take it off by hand, and my strap wrench won't grip it either. my oil filter wrench won't fit a filter that small, so i don't know what i'm going to do

when i was workin on my brothers z34 awhile back i had the hardest time getting his filter off, no wrench would grip it right, ended up taking a very long screwdriver, punched it completely through the filter near the bottom and used that as almost a breaker bar :lol:

Did you remember to coat the new filter gasket with fresh motor oil first, and did you clean the mounting surface before installing the new filter?

I've heard they can leak if you don't do those 2 things.

Jeezus, I must be He-Man or something, because I've only met one car (out of about 15 I've changed the oil on) that I've had to use a filter wrench on, and that was my old GP after I first retired it from sitting at the curb for 3 months. Every other one, I've used my hand to break loose.

I was also going to mention using a long screwdriver to rip the f*cker off. I've never had to do this though, cause I always make sure to coat the gasket with oil, bla bla bla I know how to change oil. :P

Jeezus, I must be He-Man or something, because I've only met one car (out of about 15 I've changed the oil on) that I've had to use a filter wrench on, and that was my old GP after I first retired it from sitting at the curb for 3 months. Every other one, I've used my hand to break loose.

Hmm, you must be exercising that hand a lot :willynilly: :lol: j/k

Did you remember to coat the new filter gasket with fresh motor oil first, and did you clean the mounting surface before installing the new filter?

I've heard they can leak if you don't do those 2 things.

yes i coated the gasket, and i THOUGHT i cleaned the mounting surface. but then, what i think and what i do are sometimes completely different animals...

well i got the damn thing off via a screwdriver and a hammer, but not the way that was suggested. anywho i take it off to find out the gasket is completely missing. it must have fallen out on the ground when i was going to put it on, cuz i KNOW it was there when it came out of the box. so...tomorrow i'm going to take it back to wally world and tell them to stick it. i'll get a purolator. fuck fram

The first filter change is usually a bitch cause who knows how long it was on.

After that, its Always by hand.

Never had any trouble with a filter that "I" have changed.

Test,

It was a FRAM? That explains a lot!

Maybe it came without a gasket at all :lol:.

Fram is the cheapest constructed filter you can get. The SuperTech at Wally World are much better, made by Champion Labs.

Hmm, you must be exercising that hand a lot :willynilly: :lol: j/k

:willynilly: