My girlfriend and I ...

cryptnix

We're looking into purchasing a 1996 (yes another 96 Cutlass Supreme ... the "base model..."

Everything is all good on her except the window on the passenger falls out off of the rail and I hear a wierd clunking sound coming from the back right side... whats the deal with these cars always having issues with shit on the passenger rear side, or is it just an occurance that I only seem to be noticing. Anyway, when you make turns the back wheel tilts according to what way its turning ... really only when your turning right when it does this. Getting out of the car also makes it creak and whatnot.

The person is asking $2650 for it and I am just currious if this "Lip stick and ruise" is worth her and my time of purchasing it and whatnot.

So what do you folks think the issue is? Perhaps the mounts for the struts? What could it be? Would it be something she should worry about? Would it last through winter? I mean ... I can see that the car wasnt taken cared of but a gold cutty with few less miles then mine I have really got respect for it and I really wouldn't mind adding her to my collection. :-)

considering i'm a cutty nut ... i seriously can't stand seeing someone who's just gonna beat the fuck out of it own it. i mean thats the way its heading if a stupid college freak that doesn't have a damn clue or knows nothing about the car is gonna happen...

but, i spose, for the safety of my future children mother with this women i'll tell her to keep looking. i just hope she keeps the cutty shit on her head.

:wink:

The creaking and thumping noise is most likely coming from the rear monoleaf. The end bushings are worn out and are a $18 quick, easy fix. As far as the wheel tilting, the only thing I could think of would be one of the strut bolts missing, but I don't see how that's possible unless someone deliberately left it out.

if the car is still there in a few days i'm going to have my girlfriend pick it up for if possible $2000 because...

1. The passenger window is off its track (How to fix this is beyond me!!)

2. (A Good Thing) Its already blown a gasket...

3. I am not scared to throw money into it for her to get things fixed as long as she keeps the nookie up.

4. I want another Cutlass for my winter car. If not her old car as my winter beater ... (A Plymoth 4 banger Acclaim.)

well my girl doesn't want it anymore but if the guy is desprit i'll offer him $1750 or $1500 and see if he even budges. I doubt he will. But I could use a winter car. :-D

the guy didn't take care of it for shit... cig holes, window isnt on its track ... the wheel is cockeyed when turning right in the rear ... and it creaks... sad cutty i hate seeing such a beautiful car (in my eyes) go to waste.

If he accepts an offer that much lower, I'd probaly walk. sounds like this car has had a very hard life and is what we in the car buisness call a "polished terd".

The window will need to be replaced to fix it due to the fact that the dealer nor anyone else carries the clips to hold it into track. When it falls out, can you see a small hole in the glas that looks like something can be attached there? If so, the clips gone.

As for the rear problem, I'd look for a broken strut bolt, warn out strut or more serious damged. The car might have been hit in the rear and has been repair at a hack shop to make it look better than it is.