Inop Highbeem switch and ignition key problems

White93z34

recently my high beem switch broke, I knew it was comeing, and I cannot turn my key backwards to turn the radio on, never have been able to since I bought the car. I took my steering wheel off, and the plastic shroud around it. and I can get no further, I am greeted by a large metal thing that holds the post for the steering wheel. so does anyone care to give me the rundown of repairing/tearing down a 93' steering column?

After you've removed the wheel and that shroud, there are like 3-4 screws that hold the signal switch on. After removing that you can see a small silver circle piece with a square hole in the center. As well you'll see the top of the arm that leads to the HB switch. If there doesn't appear to be anything broken there than it's the switch itself which is on the colum just infront of the pedals. Never changed that switch but it should be simple, probably only a couple screws.

As far as the key goes, IDK?? But you can try removing the lock cylinder to test if it is causing the problem. To remove the ignition you need to use a screw driver to remove the metal circle I mentioned. It retains a spring for the tilt so you'll need to apply downward pressure and turn it 90 degrees than release slowly. Tilting the column all the way relieves some of the spring pressure. With that out of the way you will need to pull out the key dinger switch, which slides into the column at the end of the ignition cylinder. After pulling it out of the way you can get at the torx bolt underneath that locks the ign. cly. into place. With that bolt removed the ignition will pop out and you can use a screwdriver to start the car.

You can try that and eliminate the simplest thing first.