Car didnt start last night because of keyless entry???

HokemBokem

So yesterday i get in my car to go to work and I turn the key and nothing. It just turned over, all the lights and radio were working fine. So already being late my mom had to take me to work :x but later on that night I was thinkin my keyless entry might not be shuttin the alarm off keepin my car from starting(it was lockin and unlockin doors). So later that night I tried my extra set of keys and it started fine and has been starting fine. So I was wondering whats wrong with my other keyless entry, is it not turning the alarm off? And how would i fix it?

Sounds like the first key you used is bad. Lemme clarify: The little chip on the side of the key has a resistance value that is measured inside the lock cylinder. If the resistance matches what's set in the "VATS" (not sure what the acronym stands for, but it's a form of security system) module, the PCM allows the starter to engage. If the wrong resistance is read, the car won't turn over and the "Security" light will flash. This would explain the 2nd key starting the car. The pellet on your 1st key is most likely worn out. Take the 2nd key to the dealer and have a new one cut.

If you have any more problems, drop me a PM. I wrote a post a few months back on how to bypass the VATS system without spending more than $5 total (and not taking more than 20 minutes...)

Yea heres my keys

keys.jpg

With my car you have to unlock it with the remote start to start the car. Its some security feature. Those keys dont start my car for some reason but they unlock and lock the doors. My other set that i started using when i found this problem starts the car and unlocks it and everything. I was thinkin maybe something broke in the key or keyless entry because i used that set everyday. So what do you guys think? New battery for it or new key from dealer?

Wait a sec, you have a remote start system installed in your car? That would put a different paint job on things. When a remote start system is installed, they put in a resistor inline with the VATS system to temporarily disable it so the remote start will start the car without the key in the ignition...

From the looks of your pic, it looks like you're talking about the factory Remote Keyless Entry (RKE.) Are you saying that you use the "Unlock" button to open the doors instead of the key? I would imagine if you had a remote start system, you'd have a different remote. Whether or not you use the RKE to gain entry to the car has no bearing on the VATS system...

Naaa, that's all in your head :lol: . The "clicker" has nothing to do with the "VATS" system at all. It simply activates your door locks remotely, nothing fancier than that...

I'm leaning towards thinking that your first key is worn out. If the second one will start the car repeatedly, try switching back to the first one and see if it will start. I'll bet that it won't. Take the 2nd (good) key to the dealer to have it duplicated and throw the bad one out (maybe break it for good measure...)

how much is a new key and can i just go to any GM dealer. And about the keyless entry, if i get in my car and try to start it without hitting the unlock button first it doesent start.

That's fuckin wierd right there! Anyways, a new key costs $30. Some will say a locksmith can do it cheaper, but I haven't found one in my area that can, so I just stick to the local Chevy dealer (yes, you can go to any GM dealer, but probably not Saturn...)

That's fuckin wierd right there! Anyways, a new key costs $30. Some will say a locksmith can do it cheaper, but I haven't found one in my area that can, so I just stick to the local Chevy dealer (yes, you can go to any GM dealer, but probably not Saturn...)

...i just payed $50 to have a key made for my cutty... :dammit: