Bought a GP, have some questions...

DiscoStudd

Before I ask the questions, here's the story:

Alright, I've been keeping this on the D/L for a couple of weeks now. I almost bought a 95 Grand Prix SE, non B4U (BYP? not sure of the trim code, anyone?) It had 127k with a freshly rebuilt 3100 (less than 100 miles.) Well I went out to look at the car, and it was in rough shape, except for the motor, which ran like a swiss watch. The guy who owned the dealership was telling me how he let his niece's husband drive it for a year, and how he beat the piss out of it. He was asking $1900 (he had it listed mistakenly for $1800.) Whilst looking it over, the body was in good shape save for the front DS fender, which was a mismatched shade (red.) It had a crappy pop-up sunroof, and the windshield leaked (the bottom plate was pushed up too far and the wipers didn't seat against the WS when they were down.) I let down the DS window and it fell out of the track. I told him I'd take it for $1400 right on the spot. He said he had $2k invested in it (yeah right) so I told him to fix the window and the leak and I'd get back to him. I called him back at the end of last week and he said he sold it for $2k :lol: :lol: :lol: . So here's what that car looked like:

1stgp.jpg

Now, I was browsing Auto Trader online for shits and giggles on Monday and came across this:

95gpse.jpg

The car was 300 miles away in Milwaukee, and as I was telling my friend who drove me out to see the last GP about it, he said he was going out to Chicago this weekend to visit some friends, so he encouraged me to ride with him and check it out. I called up the dealership to verify it was still there, and he said he wanted $1795 firm. So we left at 5 AM this morning (Saturday,) and arrived around 10:30. Took the car for a drive, checked the body, motor, trans, brakes, suspension, etc. Aside from the interior needing a good cleaning and some little odds and ends that a quick trip to the junkyard will fix, I figure I could turn a quick profit (maybe) so I bought it right then and there! The dealership has had it since March (the title said he bought it from an auction in Florida,) and they just replaced the rear rotors, pads, and e-brake cables. They said it needs a new condenser and evaporator, but I'm just going to pull a vacuum on it and see if it holds. If it does, I'll simply recharge it...

I brought my old old cassette collection with me because he said it had a tape deck, but the damn thing wouldn't play (probably needs a belt.) So I'm going to install the factory stereo from the Loomie in there in the mean time (also I plan on hooking up the 6-disc CD changer.)

The car just turned over 122K on my way home. It has the 3100, Steering Wheel Controls, "sawblade" rims (one tire is mismatched :x ) and no RKE (anyone want to share with me how to hook one up, I looked for the programming wire by the antenna, to no avail...)

I need the following (if anyone has any extras laying around they want to sell :wink: I'll post this in the F/S/T section, also. ) :

Driver's side cover that goes over the door handle and lock mechanisms.

Tan Headliner (it's tearing away by the back window)

Rear License Plate light housings (they're all torn to shit.)

Also could anyone tell me quick how to remove the front door speaker grilles? Do they just pop off, or do you have to take the whole door panel off?

I'll have some new pics posted, hopefully tomorrow night to show off (I'll be a good boy and post them in "Whatever" :wink: ...)

I like it.

Door panels have to come off.

Best bet to install RKE is to get an aftermarket unit. MUCH easier to install. In fact I just bought one for my car, not sure if I'll install that or just put another alarm in.

out of curiosity, how do you pull a vacuum test on an AC system? I need to diagnose my sister's car one day.
I actually have an old Vacuum Pump that I swiped from my old job when they went out of business. I'm going to have to change the fittings on it so they'll work with 134a first, but you hook the pump up to a manifold gauge set, then to the low side. Run the pump for 30 minutes (or until the gauge reads 30 hg of mercury,) then close off the valve on the manifold. If it holds 30 hg of mercury for another 20-30 minutes, then it should be leak-free and hold a charge. With there being a vacuum pulled, you also get the added benefit of the refrigerant getting immediately sucked into the system when you add it...

I like it.

Best bet to install RKE is to get an aftermarket unit. MUCH easier to install. In fact I just bought one for my car, not sure if I'll install that or just put another alarm in.

Thanks!

I had visions of "Bulldog" RKE systems from Wally World in my head when I was driving home myself, so that's probably what I'll do then :wink: ...

I like it.

Thanks!

I had visions of "Bulldog" RKE systems from Wally World in my head when I was driving home myself, so that's probably what I'll do then :wink: ...

That's exactly what I got. I'm probably going to install it (BTW- a pencil eraser works great for erasing "Bulldog" off the transmitters) I wouldn't have bothered if it wasn't "free" but it seems to be decent regardless.