cutlass supreme sl and grand prix first gen. head lights

toastemcutlass

Hey I'm new to the site but I've had my 94 cutlass supreme for over a year and just this weekend found out how to make the head lights to any color I want(small sealed beam) and its really simple. first you take out the head light assembly then you take a pair of chanel lock pliers and turn the light ficture clockwise and then counter clockwise make sure the glass part stays still and the plastic part moves. all that its is held in with is an rtv type glue. once the ficture is taken apart then you go to your local parts shop or accesory shop and pick out your self a nice pair of 9005(the normal) and 9006(the brights) or vis versa bulbs that are the color you want next pick up a tube of high temp silicone glue is what I used and the and the new bulbs slip into the holes of the one and seal it up with the rtv and now you have new lights

Just did that a couple weeks ago.. put in some sylvania silver stars.

And just for an FYI.. the 9005's are the brights and the 9006's are the dims.. I made the mistake and assumed that the lower number bulb was the dims..

Toastem,

Yeah, the wiring harness for both the coupe, convertable, and sedan are all the same... cool, that's something to do when one of $25 headlights burn out. Ah, but the kicker: aren't the in-set headlight of the Gen I W-Bodies are the same as the Gen III F-Bodies? Now that's something to look into for interchangability... :yikes:

- RedFox340

The quad headlights (inset) are sealed and very expensive to replace when they fry. Anything to save money to do home replacement help out in the long run! WHOO HOO!! :D

- RedFox340

you are gonna love this.... just talked to the parts guy and he said a few guys have come back in after the slyvanias have melted their wiring harness. Guess they get really really hot. One guy put them in a 2002 intrepid and friend the front electical system. Just a heads up. He said that the APC are brighter and about $10 cheaper.

I am gonna try this tomorrow. I got some questions as to how to get the stock bulb out...plese help me here....

APC's are in. So it took me a couple of minutes to figure out how to get the old bulbs out...lol I just did the low beems for now and there is a world of difference. The light is much brighter and whiter. If I can get some pics I will. They are $5 cheaper per bulb than the sylvania's. Very much worth it.

cool, I loved my lights but they cost me $15 a light and I did all four so about $65 or so but is cheaper to change in the future and they look so much better

Toastemcutlass,

You're on your third transmission? :shock: What the hell, do you beat the crap out of it? I'm still on the factory original with 171K miles... leaks a tad, but it works!

- RedFox340

If by beat on it you mean almost every stoplight and bye racing everyone and everything then yes!! Hydromatic gave gm a trans that could hold about 225 on a good day for the first gen w-bodies. and I believe I'm around or above that. hey I'm glad for you but my trans don't last and it sucks but "live fast and die fun." the 3.4 is a very impressive motor you should read the history of it at http://www.angelfire.com/ca2/34Performance/dohc.html their are some very interesting facts.

I dont buy all of that history...but anyway.

The 4T60-E doesn't like high RPM shifts. Its not so much the power as it is the high RPM shift points. Its only rated for 6800 RPM max.

I have read that page before and I agree with Vegeta... not all of the facts are there. But you're right ToastemCutlass, I've been told mine wouldn't last at all and it has... but my car more of a 'get to point A to point B' car... I don't many challenges at all, and hardly ever shift above 6000 RPM's. Who'd want to drag against a 'grandpa' coupe anyway... :gone2far:

- RedFox340

don't know but all that I do know is that I keep killing the trans check out the photo of the output shaft housing it broke complely around and before that the gear exploded all over the road. Before I got the shift kit the thing would poech into second, probably not good for it Jan04#21.JPG?dc=4675404421350342593

why can't I do that? is that the same as the getrag m-27? Cus thats what I'm working on doing. well I hope not cus this trans sucks and I like manual better for the dohc motor

You can do it but you need to swap your steering column for a 91-93, drilla hole in the floorboard for the cables, drill holes to mount the shifter, make a hole or modify the round hole inthe firewall to mount the clutch hydraulics, convert to a 91-93 computer for the 5 speed code or have the stock ECM reflashed if possible. Still have to mess with the wiring.

I basically watched my friend swap his in a 91 lumina which is still a lot of work but nothing like yours. You also have a bar going across the dash taht will be in the way of the clutch.

thanks I knew I had to modify things for the new trans but you made it sound like it wouldn't bolt up. what a relief. I plan on puting in the clutch pedal and brake assembly before I put the trans in that way all I really have to do is swap the sifters and cables. the shifter has the same bolt pattern as what I have in their from what I can see. not sure about the computer yet. if I unplug the harness from the auto trans I should recreat the situation. I the motor runs good I don't care if not then its back to square on thanks again.