Air Intake For Lumina

1990lumina

Hey guys. I did a search on this topic, found a whole bunch, but have two questions. I live in Canada first off, so where would you suggest I go to an intake for my 90 Lumina 3.1 Euro. I know the term "Cold Air Intake" is wrong, I just want a cone style air filter replacing the factory air box. Also, would you suggest I get the tubing from the filter to the engine, or will the stock rubber hose work just as well if I make a custom bracket to support it?

So, now you know my question, what type of stores in Canada would have the filter and tubing (if the tubing is necessary). We have Canadian Tire, NAPA, Part Source, Wal-Mart (I doubt they have it though).

My other question is I noticed there is a sensor that connects to the factory air box, if I replace the air box with a cone style filter where will I plug the sensor into?

Thanks again guys, always great answers!

- Jeff L.

If you've read prior posts here, you would know that it's pointless to replace the stock airbox with a "hot air" intake(cone filter unshielded in the engine bay like so many do.....). This is unless you like losing a lot of torque/"low end"(it will be noticeable) to gain 2-3hp in the upper rpms. If you want to actually benefit from changing the intake, relocate the battery to the trunk and fabricate a fenderwell intake.

:withstupid: Replacing the stock airbox with a cone filter will cause a significant loss of power (HP and TQ) across the rev band. You will see very little increase, if any, in HP at the very top of the useful power band. My best recommendation for an intake on a stock 3.1: use a K&N FilterCharger in the stock airbox.

You do gain 2-5hp from a GOOD cone intake not the cheep spectra autozone cone filters. but thats only if you put 3" piping with it. If your going to keep your stock intake arm, then just put a dropin K&N

I don't know exactly how much TQ you'll lose on a 3.1, but with the one I put on my 3800, I noticed nothing (gain or loss) except for a cool "WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" sound at wide open throttle. I just bought one to try for shits and giggles, and I'm not that impressed with it.

I got mine off of eBay from a place called "Intake Power." I say stick to a K&N drop-in...

I have both a K&N dropin and a cone filter. I'm running the cone filter cause overall it performs better than the k&n in the hacked stock air box, but maybe it depends on the cars setup. I took a week with each filter to decide. Maybe I should try with my other car cause it's totally stock, might get different results there.

I'm running the cone filter cause overall it performs better than the k&n in the hacked stock air box....

Trust me, "hacking" the airbox only hurts performance. I drilled out the rivets and removed the entire snorkel assembly (leaving a gaping wide hole in the side of the airbox). It made a cool sounding roar past 1/2 throttle and I didn't think I lost any power until I put the snorkel back on. Wow what a difference!!! There is much more low- and mid-range power

This further proves why a cone is bad (at least on a 3.1/3100):

Dyno chart on modded 3100 WITH STOCK AIRBOX: http://3100mpfi.com/AIRfilter1RPM.JPG

Dyno chart on modded 3100 WITH CONE FILTER: http://3100mpfi.com/CONEfilter2RPM.JPG

As you can see, he only gained 2 HP but lost 20 lb-ft torque by using a cone filter. Not worth it IMO.

a K&N dropin won't give you any noticable power increase, at least on a 3.1

maybe they're more effective on an engine that actually makes some power, they're not on ours

i actually talked to a guy with a really nice ls1 and he was runnin a plain jane fram filter and said unless ur runnin extreme amounts of boost or insane amounts of hp from a heavily modded engine the k&N is pretty pointless wow i just gained like . 5 horses at the rear wheels, yay good $50 spent for me

i actually talked to a guy with a really nice ls1 and he was runnin a plain jane fram filter and said unless ur runnin extreme amounts of boost or insane amounts of hp from a heavily modded engine the k&N is pretty pointless wow i just gained like . 5 horses at the rear wheels, yay good $50 spent for me

Yea thats what i was thinkin, thats why i just bought a new 8 dollar fram air filter

i bought a K&N 3 years ago! today its still in use not in my car but in my sisters car. 3 years over 60,000 miles on it i paid $45 for it.. now

8 dallor fram air filter change every 6000 miles thats 10 air filters for a grand total of 80bux in air filters... now what would you rather pay 80bux plus additional 8 bux for every 6000 miles or 45bux plus a 10dollor cleaning kit no additional costs that will outlast the life of your car.

pondering... i would go with the $55 dollor K&N setup that lasts a lifetime then spend $8 bux every other oilchange

i cant believe i saved $35bux already yay! end of this next year it will be over $50dollor savings!

a cleaning kit won't last the life of your car if you'll keep it any length of time

a cleaning kit is good for 2 recharges if you follow the directions and really clean the filter

a cleaning kit won't last the life of your car if you'll keep it any length of time

a cleaning kit is good for 2 recharges if you follow the directions and really clean the filter

2 recharges??? WTF?? I recently cleaned mine according the instructions. I even thought I used TOO MUCH of the cleaner, and after it was dry I oiled the freakin shit out of it! I don't think I used more than a 1/4 of either of the products. I think you can use the recharge kit at least 4 times.

Plus, the instructions say it is only necessary to service the K&N every 50,000 - 100,000 miles!! In other words, one K&N filter and one recharge kit will last you the life your car (if not more than one car).

i wouldn't go 50,000 miles between cleanings.

age also dirties air filters. for most people 50,000 will take quite a while. i've seen some 3 or 4 year old cars with under 20,000 on them with the orig filters, and they've been nasty even though they're not at the milage point recommended to change the filters.

btw, i used about half my cleaner, and still had some spots in the filter with bits of dirt and shit.

i dunno about you 3.1 guys but on my 3.4, the cone is definatly a better choice. although i havent hacked the airbox, i have put a cone in and felt better tq/hp. i dunno if the hacked box will do better but i dont think it will. besides..the cut open...drilled...airbox just looks...meh.

No. The CLEANING KIT ITSELF is only good for two recharges, not the filter.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

3 cars 3 K&N apps 1 cleaning kit.. each car has been cleaned more then 2 times with the same kit.. i still have more then a half kit left! the kit garentees it can clean 10 times ore more so far its done 9 and probably has ateast another 5 cleanings worth