Why why why (fog lights)

CPSMonteZ34

So if anyone remembers, one of my fog lamp lenses fell off my set of the Optilux 2020's - After getting zero response from Hella for any kind replacement, I went to where I bought them. They laughed and said, 'Just bring in the lamps with your receipt, we'll give you two new ones and send the old ones back as defective.' That seemed like a win-win all the way.

That was just last month. One trip back on winter roads from Calgary over the Holidays and I just found out they're both cracked! Sonofamotherlessgoat! Now what?! I can't stand this shit. I think I'll go back to plastic lenses. Glass doesn't hold up worth $hit.

Why not use some of those 'glass savers' from like 3M... there are like a vinal clear sticker that applies over fogs / headlamps from cracking: it's the same stuff as the clear braws... try that. I know your pain, I can't tell you how many times I've rebuilt my stock Cutty fogs after going in and out of the mountains!

- RedFox340

Yeah, I'm damn near getting to that point myself - if it weren't for the mountain passes and wildlife for which I have my driving lights trained on the sides of the road, and quite useful for cutting through fog. I wouldn't bother with them in the city as I never use them on the streets...what blinds me from other damned vehicles and their fog lights must obviously blind them if I'm using them...so I don't use them when not needed.

After this last straw, if they survive, I'm giving up on them.

If you have access to a vacume former, try this:

I had aproblem with my headlight glass, it was crack and would leak a lot of water, and that would blow my bulbs. I can't afford to buy new healight lenses, so I vacumed formed 1/4inch thick plastic over them and then trimmed off the excess around the sides. The final results are no leaks and crack resistance.

I am looking for some sort of 55W (55W at least, 65W would be preferable) driving light to install in my Lumina in those two rectangular openings (yr90-94) under the bumper, so that it fits flush with the openings. Has anyone tried or seen this, I was thinking something like the mini lights on the front of the Cutlass or GTP's. Will those fit? I have not found any clear (not yellow or blue)/55W in nearby stores in which it would be easy to later install a high discharge or SLIGHTLY blue high watt bulb, NOT RICE - ION BLUE)

I wanted some driving lights in there when I get around to getting the GTS smoke covers to cover those crappy headlights. They have seen much better days and are now dingy yellow and somewhat cracked and dont really do the job anymore.

You have a wide-variety of choices available to you:

a) High end like Pilot and various models of Hella

B) Mid end like the entry-level Hella (Optimax)

c) Low end, but still have metal housings

Reasons to chose from a, b, or c.

a) Positve: Quality brand with good technology in place for well placed light direction. Quality housing and lense with good moisture suppression.

Negative: Name brand price. Expensive replacement should one break. (Unless you are within a warranty inclusion for a defective lamp)

B) Positive: Good build quality with decent housing, mounting hardware, and lense design. Decent moisture suppression.

Negative: Sometimes the perceived value of the quality isn't quite up with the price. Lamp access can sometimes be difficult requiring the whole lamp come off to get to the bulb.

c) Positive: The price is usually right. Cheap replacement for broken lamps. Suitable lighting for its needs.

Negative: Cheap quality sometimes requiring more maintenance.

Mini lights like the projector style aren't really effective at producing a good, broad beam. They end up mostly used for appearance than anything else. The best way is to measure the effective space you can use and look for what will fit the best.