How to fix the door handle for good?

MommyTaz022200

On my passenger side door the bar that opens the door had fallen off when I bought the car. The plastic thing was broken, so I bought a new one and put it back together. After opening it like 3 times it fell off again. Took it back apart to find the plastic broke again, so I got a new one and fixed it again. I didn't even get the door back on the car and it fell off AGAIN! The plastic clip didn't break this time as far as I can tell, it is still in the door like it's suppose to be. The bar just keeps falling off. Anyone know how to get the bar to stay put? I'm reallly getting annoyed with the stupid thing!

For the interior handle? I remember JBWelding one for a friend's STE.

My drivers door won't open either, but it's due to the exterior handle.

Not inside, it opens fine from the inside. I can't open it from the outside. If it were the inside broken, I'd want to know how to break the back doors and then fix the front. (I really wish the child saftey lockout switch was an option in 93)

Not inside, it opens fine from the inside. I can't open it from the outside. If it were the inside broken, I'd want to know how to break the back doors and then fix the front. (I really wish the child saftey lockout switch was an option in 93)

Well I'm with ya on that one.. my drivers door hasn't opened from the outside for about a year now. I need a new handle as far as I know. I didn't realize there was a plastic clip for the exterior... I know they had those clips for the interior linkage.

I didn't realize there was a plastic clip for the exterior... I know they had those clips for the interior linkage.

Driver side working the wway it should:

434980_114_full.jpg

Passenger side with the bar fallen off:

434980_113_full.jpg

You can see where the bar goes from the outside handle into the plastic clip if you look at the yellow clip on the passenger side picture and then look at the same spot on the driver side one. (Sorry for crappy pictures, but it's not easy to take a picture of the inside of your door when you can't look at what the camera will get on the picture)

Omg I didnt relize all you guys had problems with your door handles too, my passanger side outside didnt work so I took it apart and bent the rod now it works fine, but teh drivers side somtimes wont open other times its perfecty fine, I gotta do that one

So you crawl through the passenger side all of the time?

Thats what i was just about to ask these people that were saying there driver door didnt work. That would suck so bad to get in threw the passenger side every time

I had this problem many years ago on my old 81 Monte. The rod for the driver's side door handle kept popping out of the latch mechanism. When I tore the door panel apart, I found the rod was weak (probably from old age) and all bent up. For that old pile of shiznit Monte (that I only kept for a couple more months after that,) I just found another rod at the boneyard. If you plan on keeping your car for a while, try the stealership or GMPartsDirect.com. I don't know if I'd trust one from the boneyard to last very long (unless it's from the "sunbelt...")

I climb out through the back door.. [sighs]