How to use a paperclip?

Regal_GS_1989

I've been hearing all of this talk about pulling codes by using a paperclip. How does this get the codes to show up?? I've got an 89 regal with the full digital cluster. :confused:

bend it into a U shape and stick it into the the a and b pins on your diagnostic plug. that's the plug under your dash, a little to the left of your center console. i believe a and b are the two pins in the upper right hand corner of the plug. then turn your ignition to on, wait till the first code flashes three times, then anything after that is the code you need to look up in your repair manual

oih sorry, the service engine soon light is what flashes the code. i think the first code is 2 flashes, pause, threee flashes. i don't have my repair manual in front of me, but i THINK that's what it is. anything after that is a trouble code

It flashes once then twice (code 12) three times, then if there are any codes, they're flashed 3 times until they've all been read, then it flashes a code 12 to let you know it's done.

BTW, don't start the car, only switch the ignition to "ON."

It flashes once then twice (code 12) three times, then if there are any codes, they're flashed 3 times until they've all been read, then it flashes a code 12 to let you know it's done.

BTW, don't start the car, only switch the ignition to "ON."

yeah that's pretty much what i was getting at, but i haven't been to sleep yet, so i'm not completely coherent. and like i said turb, i'm not completely sure about it. i'm tired. i tried