GP Low Trac Light

supreme_style21

Rather than sidetracking the other thread, I'll use this.

Are these low trac lights functional in the GP's? Cause mine sure doesn't have this..

All mine has in this location is a SHIFT UP up arrow.. Never noticed it was there until tonight.

I want this.

lowtrac.jpg

No.. the light will come on when it senses 'low traction'... mainly when the ABS comes on.

The picture is from Kevin (Disco_Studd).. from a 95 I believe.

And yes, mine, for some reason, has a shift up light. In a 94.

I had absolutely no idea these things had a trac light :shock:

I think I'm gonna go pull my cluster out and see whats up. Yay for another night with little sleep.

Oh yeah forgot ABS made that come on too.. TC wasn't even an option. I'm losing it.

The shift-up light in your car is more odd to me. I guess GM planned on having manuals in the 94-96's and just never got around to it.

Oh yeah forgot ABS made that come on too.. TC wasn't even an option. I'm losing it.

The shift-up light in your car is more odd to me. I guess GM planned on having manuals in the 94-96's and just never got around to it.

But thats the problem.. appearantly 1995 saw the Trac Light instead, so 1994, perhaps very early 1994, saw the shift arrow.. I dunno.

The 1995 manual shows the light in the cluster.

The 1994 manual shows absolutely nothing.

So that would explain the ProCarParts overlay having an arrow instead of the Low Trac light.

My Regal's Low Trac light is functional and illuminates when the ABS system detects wheel lock-up. Must be a 95-96 only option, I guess.

If it's any help, I was just looking over the Hayne's manual's wiring diagram section. It shows that the Low Trac light gets its signal from the EBCM via a light green wire...

F'n wierd!!! The 94 GP's must have been the "mule" year, seeing as the Cuttys and Regals didn't get the updated dash until 95 (when they had all the "bugs" worked out.) The 94 GP's had that goofy upper console with the cupholders in front of the shifter, too, which disappeared in 95...

I noticed my Regal's cluster has an unused "Trac OFF" light in the lower right corner next to the low fuel light. They must've planned on adding traction control at some point as well...

Well seeing as that "UP" indicator doesn't do anything, you could swap in a 95 cluster and wire up the low trac light to the EBCM if your EBCM has the wire you need to tap into. I was kinda thinking of adding a "CRUISE" light to the wife's Lumina in the same manner (tapping off of the proper wire on the cruise module and routing it to an unused idiot light in the cluster...)

Yeah I just went out and looked.. no wire for this light in the harness. The only green ones in there were for the temperature gauge and light.

The cluster appears to have been manufactured in 04-94.

The only thing written on the circuit board is LP17 in that location.. no description like the others have. Although there is also a SPARE#3. I wonder what that would be.

OMFg!!!11! r@Re!!1!

Yeah! Most GM's had a few unused lights in their clusters. for example, My 89 Regal GS has a GATE OPEN light. WTF, i don't think regals ever came with a GATE. Crazy :willynilly:

Yeah! Most GM's had a few unused lights in their clusters. for example, My 89 Regal GS has a GATE OPEN light. WTF, i don't think regals ever came with a GATE. Crazy :willynilly:

Now that's fuckin' crazy! I can see the plausibility of an upshift light if they were to actually offer a manual tranny, but a f'n liftgate?!? Makes ya wonder if there was a Regal Wagon in the works that got scrapped? Seeing as the "W's" were GM's answer to the Taurus, and the Taurus had a wagon, maybe they did have one planned at one time...

My 90 Euro has an Anti-Lock light. 2 years I believe before ABS was an option.. Weird on the shift light for the GP.. Maybe this was designed in 93 when you could get a 5 speed.. And they thought it would carry over to 94.. I just think my Anti-Lock light is weird, seeing as how the cluster TOTALLY changed in 91.. Damn GM and theyre oddball crap.. Speakin of 94, I have a 94 Console top from a GP.. LOL.. Weird cupholder placement!

Yeah I just went out and looked.. no wire for this light in the harness. The only green ones in there were for the temperature gauge and light.

I take it you were looking in the cluster's harness, not the EBCM's harness, right? The way I see it, there shouldn't be a wire in the cluster's harness for that light at all. If you want to get it to work, you'll have to put a pin/wire in the cluster's harness corresponding to that light, then run that wire to the EBCM and tap into the Light Green wire (if it even has one :wink: ...)

I did something similar on my 85 Grand Am when I upgraded to the 89 (full gauges) cluster. I wired the "Low Coolant" light to a relay so it would illuminate when I turned off my radiator fan (which I totally re-wired to a new relay with a switch under the dash.)

95+ EBCM (ABS computer) is different than 92-94.

There is no LOW TRAC light 94 and older.

A newer EBCM and different connectors are required to get that LOW TRAC light working.

I happen to have a spare 96 EBCM and have been sort of half-assed thinking about trying to replace the one in the 94, but it's not a priority project and kind of a lot of work just to get the light since all the connectors are different.

A newer EBCM and different connectors are required to get that LOW TRAC light working.

I happen to have a spare 96 EBCM and have been sort of half-assed thinking about trying to replace the one in the 94, but it's not a priority project and kind of a lot of work just to get the light since all the connectors are different.

That's kinda what I was thinking. 1994 seemed to be a bastardized year. I really don't feel like going thru all that work just for a light to pop on once in awhile.

But I think its still kinda cool to see the stuff GM was seeming planning on using, yet scrapped at the last minute, such as the lift gate someone posted above.

Guest Anonymous

I have the low traction light. Its very annoying and usless, it comes on whenever you brake too hard. Does your car have ABS? wasnt that standard? it should be part of the abs system.

That's kinda what I was thinking. 1994 seemed to be a bastardized year. I really don't feel like going thru all that work just for a light to pop on once in awhile.

Yeah, 94 was transitional.

The Cutlass was more bastardized than the GP. The 94 GP's had the 95-96 interior, but the 94 Cutlass had the old interior, but all new wiring harness and new steering column. So a lot of 94 interior parts fits ONLY 94's.

I like lights, buttons, and gadgets too.

I want dual power memory seats and power tilt/telescopic steering column so bad!!!

That's good to know. So that would explain the lack of a Low Trac light in 94.

Well, I'm sure my idea about making a "CRUISE" telltale will actually work since the light gets its signal from one of the existing wires on the Cruise Module (white) that runs to the PCM (okay, don't quote me here since I don't have the wiring diagram in front of me.)

Well, I'm sure my idea about making a "CRUISE" telltale will actually work since the light gets its signal from one of the existing wires on the Cruise Module (white) that runs to the PCM (okay, don't quote me here since I don't have the wiring diagram in front of me.)

Cruise light should work. I think early concept versions of the Cutlass were supposed to have it (I think I remember seeing a drawing of a cluster with the Cruise indicator in an old owner's manual).

I know even the old vacuum cruise computers have a cruise light output on them.

I have the low traction light. Its very annoying and usless, it comes on whenever you brake too hard.

YEAH...I AGREE!!!!...i have the light too, and it comes on everytime i brake hard and it gets really ANNOYING!!...i don't like it...the GP overlay i got for my cutty has the shift light though and not the LOW TRAC light...

I know even the old vacuum cruise computers have a cruise light output on them.
I think you're right about that. I remember when I tracked down a wiring diagram for an 89 Grand Am cluster, beside it in the book was one for a Skylark and I believe the Skylark had a Cruise light in the cluster.

You could say I've grown accustomed to that light turning on whenever I activate the cruise. It kinda gives me fits when I'm driving the Lumina and I don't see that little green indicator lit up when I have the cruise on :lol: . I know it sounds stupid but it's one of those things that once you have it, you can't seem to live without it (kinda like power windows, power mirrors, MOONROOF, etc...)