leather vs. cloth

no1kicker

I've wanted leather in my STE ever since I got it. Not bad enough to pay for shipping, but it would be nice to have. I was just curious if the leather would weigh more than cloth. I never cared until I went to the strip for the first time. If it doesn't, then let the searching resume!

I think leather wears out a lot quicker then cloth.

not if cared for properly....that being said, leather is much nicer .....I would guess that it weighs about the same as cloth

I like my newly aquired leather. :mrgreen:

TSTE_interior.jpg

Though I went through hours of hell to clean it. I should have taken some before pictures. I guess that's what you get when already dirty seats spend a year in a junkyard. The driver's seat isn't in the best of conditions, but I wanted it bad enough that I didn't care anymore. They'll do until I find the graphite leather ones.

I like my newly aquired leather. :mrgreen:

TSTE_interior.jpg

Though I went through hours of hell to clean it. I should have taken some before pictures. I guess that's what you get when already dirty seats spend a year in a junkyard. The driver's seat isn't in the best of conditions, but I wanted it bad enough that I didn't care anymore. They'll do until I find the graphite leather ones.

what did those seats come from?

I just about bought those same leather seats but decided to stay with cloth cause cause I found a '90 STE which matched my interior.Plus there was a $300+ price difference, the cloth set was at a u-pull-it.

I find leather looks nicer but I'd still rather be sitting on cloth.

Ever sit in a leather seat in -40 or even +30, I find the appeal of leather is lost quickly under such circumstances, it also won't last very well.

Ever sit in a leather seat in -40 or even +30, I find the appeal of leather is lost quickly under such circumstances, it also won't last very well.

there are things called seat heaters......and again, leather WILL last as long as you take care of it....

My CS has one of the best heaters that I have ever seen....you don't have to drive far at all before it will get warm in the car. The leather really does not have any effect on me being cold or not.

I like the fact that if you spill something on leather, you pretty much only have to mop it up with a paper towel....cloth seems to stain very easily.

I have to add something about the leather vs. cloth topic. 1st off like jeremy said, your leather will look the way you treat it. 2nd the leather usually has power options in them which will increase your weight. Now if your cloth does include power then there's no discrepancy.

Guest TurboSedan

i absolutely hate the leather seats i put into my Cutlass (they are from a '90 International). i liked my cloth seats so much better! the leather seats turned out to be a complete waste of $125 :? they look alright, but they are sooo uncomfortable.

on the other hand i love the leather seats in my other car!

leather is easier to clean, unless someone spills a drink in the backseat and it puddles underneath and soaks into the foam. :nono: :bash:

cloth is more comfortable. my z34 was the best for long drives. my gp leather seats are ok.

going around corners quickly i tend to slide in my seat. well i am a skinny guy and there's a bit of room between the lateral supports.

The leather seats in my 94 convertible are stiff, shiny, noisy, uncomfortable, makes my back sweat, and I slide around on them all the time. Least supportive bottom seat cushions I've ever experienced. I Lexol them constantly hoping it will help... but it doesn't. Oh well, they look better than cloth at any rate. They don't come close to comparing to the leather in my dad's 92 Infiniti Q45 or my mom's 04 Maxima. It seems GM uses the same bargain-bin leather that Ford uses.

I greatly prefer the feel of the cushions and tweed-like fabric in my 89, although they don't look so great.

My goal for my car is a set of black GP leathers from a 95.. I love leather!! LOL.. It kicks ass.. I mean, my cloth GP seats kick total ass, and are comfortable, but.. The EXACT same seats in black leather would TOTALLY own..

my car came stock with black leather, the previous owner didnt take that great of care of it so it dried out in some spots. Some TLC with leather cleaner and lotion and its farily decent. I love how comfy leather is though some people complain about sliding around.

For extreme cold or heat I keep large terry cloth towels in the trunk that match the color of the leather. I just throw them over the seat if its really hot or cold.

Eventually Ill get the money and have the leather redone with leather of a higher quality than what GM uses (and maybe a seat heater too).

Another advantage of leather is that as long as its healty it acts as a natural air freshner for your car. If your a smoker leather does not absorb the smell like cloth does either.

after driving so many cars with leather, when I get into a car with cloth it feels "cheap".......When I was shopping for my wife's car I couldn't find one the color that I wanted with leather so I had to buy one with cloth....I can't tell you how much more I liked the Spyder after I added the leather...

With Wisconsin winter getting to below 0 and the summer getting to 90+ I prefer cloth. Heated leather in the winter would be nice, but I've never seen cooled leather for the summer. Leather is much easier to clean if you have kids that may spill, I have a leather couch in my living room for that reason, but after the first summer driving my boyfriend's Bonneville with leather seats I'd rather just put seat covers over my seats.

I know I saw huge chunks of leather on eBay for like $30 awhile ago. You could always buy a big sheet of it and then sew it to the cloth seats.

If your car has ac and you would just park your car in a garage or put one of those windshield reflectors in when you park outside, then leather will stay quite cool. Just keep it out of direct sunlight. Tinted windows help a lot as well. That will keep it cool and keep it from drying out and cracking.

Cloth stains, absorbs moisture and can start to smell. It also doesn't protect the supporting foam. If you care for your leather, a leather seat will way outlast a cloth one.

I know I saw huge chunks of leather on eBay for like $30 awhile ago. You could always buy a big sheet of it and then sew it to the cloth seats.

I would love to see an amatuer take on that task :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The leather seats in my 94 convertible are stiff, shiny, noisy, uncomfortable, makes my back sweat, and I slide around on them all the time. Least supportive bottom seat cushions I've ever experienced. I Lexol them constantly hoping it will help... but it doesn't. Oh well, they look better than cloth at any rate. They don't come close to comparing to the leather in my dad's 92 Infiniti Q45 or my mom's 04 Maxima. It seems GM uses the same bargain-bin leather that Ford uses.

I greatly prefer the feel of the cushions and tweed-like fabric in my 89, although they don't look so great.

I'll glady take those shiny, noisy, uncomfortable leathers in a trade for the grey cloths i have in my Z34.