Did I Fry My ECM???? Or do I have other major problems????

fierofanatic

Is my ECM Fried? Or do I have other issues?  

1. 1. Is my ECM Fried? Or do I have other issues?

• ECM is Fried
    • ECM isn't fried
    • You have wiring issues still
    • A combination of frying the ecm and other things

:oops: Here's the story, got the transmission back into the car, went to go put battery back in, started connecting the battery, all of a sudden I heard a fan on (Ignition was turned on when I was spinning the steering wheel to finish up the job). Then I accidently arched the battery for a second with my wrench (And its a big arc too) :oops: Well now I go to start the car, and it won't start. The fuel pump isn't turning on. Plus the SES light is missing and I was sure it was there before I pulled the tranny. I pulled the plug into the back for the fuel pump and ran power straight to it, and it worked. I checked all the wiring, the relays and the fuses are good. There's no power going to the relay, I do get a constant 8.5 volts however through the purple wire, in the back which I believe is the fuel guage. The grey wire gets no power at all, and I even tested it to make sure it wasn't broken, and was able to push 12 volts through it, and the grounds were working. I swapped relays, still the same condition. I was able to get the motor to run for a second on starting fluid, but thats it. I also tried wiring up a switch for the fuel pump, turning the fuel pump on, which worked, and then trying to start the car, no go, the motor wouldn't run. I'm not sure if it would run at all, but I'm wondering if I partially fried the ecm or not. I told the guy at the parts store what I did, and he said he did the same thing one time putting a battery into a customers car (Buick), and fried the ecm instantly without blowing any fuses. I have a new ECM on order, and the guy is going to let me see if the new ecm works or not, and if it doesn't he'll let me bring it back. So is there anything that you guys can think of?

if you turn your key to the ON position and you do not get any of your dash or dummy lights (espically your SES) to come on for at least a second or 2 then your ECM is toast. Your dummy lights coming on at start is a test to make sure they all work and only come on when your ECM is running its startup process. Kinda like the screen you get on your PC when you first start it.

Well I get all the other lights except ses, and the "Check Guages" light stays on after the others turn off, is that normal? I got the replacement ecm tonight, and it made no difference, after I traced all my wiring and did ohm checks, I found out my fuel pump and ecm aren't getting any power..... The wiring is all ok though. Well at least at the fuse that says ecm/fuel I don't get any power, even when I turn the ignition on. Tonight I also discovered my alternator is making this low pitch hum-squeel, sorta like a transformer, could the alternator be bad by making it so that the fuel pump won't be getting power?

the alt is def bad however you should still be getting power from the battery. trace the power leads and grounds for the pump and the ECM, sounds like it may be a bad ground somewhere caused by the short.