Squeeking Noise while braking?

HokemBokem

Last night it started, when I apply the brakes I hear a bad sqreeching noise. Note i have been driving on warped rotors for a while. Is this the brake pads or what and what and how much money will this take to fix?

You can probably have an ultra cheap brake job (pads and rotors) done for around $150 or so professionally. Assuming you don't need new calipers anyways, add another $150 for those. A good brake job however will cost more like $250 or so. Again add for calipers.

A much better option would be to do it yourself, you should be able to do top of the line stuff for $100-150. If its your first time it will probably take around 2-3 hours or so, and requires only basic tools and a T60 socket, about $10.

What they said. I say you should try and do it yourself. It's easy and you'll save a ton of money on labor.

Pick up a Hayne's Manual and read the "Brakes" section over to get familiar with what you're up against.

Wait a minute, didn't you ask about this before? You still haven't replaced your brakes yet? Well, it sounds to me like you're rapidly running out of time. Once you wear the pads down to bare metal, you might as well kiss your rims goodbye because it's next to impossible to clean all of the embedded hot metal shavings from the worn off pads rubbing against the rotor. But look on the bright side, you'll have a good excuse to have them sandblasted :lol: !

If you want prices, call around. Call Midas, Car-X, local garages, etc. Then call up some auto parts stores to see how much the parts will cost. Tell them you need pads and rotors...

Yea my rotors are still warped and shaking heavily when i brake. So how much would it be for the brake pads, rotors and tools? I have standard tools but nothing speacial.

Pads: $20-$100 per set, you get what you pay for. Go for some high quality semi-metallics, about $45.

Rotors: $13-$90 a piece, again you get what you pay for here. Expect the $13 ones to warp about as soon as you install them.

T-60 socket for use on caliper brakets: about $10-15

Doing it yourself...priceless.

Oh, you'll also need a basic metric set of sockets for a 3/8" drive wrench.

So how much would it be for the brake pads, rotors and tools? I have standard tools but nothing speacial.
If you want prices, call around.
It doesn't cost a dime to do a little of the legwork yourself, my good man :wink: . We can only provide you with a rough estimate because the stores in your area probably charge differently than the rest of the nation...

I just wanted to add, you will need to buy a bottle of brake fluid, some aerosol brake cleaner, some sandpaper, a turkey baster (to suck some of the fluid out of the master cylinder) and some anti-sieze to coat your lug studs (I even use it to lube the caliper sliders.)

Just want to stress this one more time:

Purchase a Hanye's Manual! You'll be glad you did :D ...

Call around, get your parts and tools (and a freakin Hayne's Manual for cryin' out loud) and if you run into any problems, holla atcher boyz on the "W." We'll be more than glad to help you out once you have that sucker torn down. NOW GET TO WORK, YOUNG MAN!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

i'd stay away from Bosch Ceramic pads.

what year is your car? if you have the shitty first gen brakes, check out your rear calipers. lube up the sliders if any of the boots are leaking grease.

This just sounds like a big job to me and I dont know how to do much on cars. Im just afraid im going to screw up and end up paying a shit load more because i got myself in a job i didnt know anything about. So will the Haynes manual tell me exactly how to do this?

Sure will... Hayne's manuals are the shit. I buy one for every car I own. Doing the job yourself will save you tons of money. It's not that hard and you'll be able to put better parts on for the money. Anyways, if you do it yourself and they don't act right afterwards, then just bring it to a garage and have them adjust them for you. It'll be alot cheaper then having them do the whole brake job for you.

The rears can be a little intimidating, but the fronts are, bar none, the most simple, and easiest repair you could do on your car. Once you get the feel for changing the brakes on your car, you'll be able to do a brake job on virtually every car, truck, and SUV on the road today...

Just give yourself a full day (just to be on the safe side) to do the job and dive in head-first. If you find yourself confused on how everything goes together, take a look at the other side of the car :wink: . Now, like I've said before, if you need any guidance while you have them torn apart, give us a holler!!!

NOW GIT-R-DONE, DAMMIT!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mine started doing the same thing a couple days ago...but I need a little more time before I do my brakes, so I just bent the bar up a little :S I dunno if that was a great idea but it worked.

YK

Mine started doing the same thing a couple days ago...but I need a little more time before I do my brakes, so I just bent the bar up a little :S I dunno if that was a great idea but it worked.

YK

Just as long as you do the job within the next couple of weeks you should be fine...

YK

Just as long as you do the job within the next couple of weeks you should be fine...

Yeah that was my plan...by the way, these are the rears we're talking about, not the fronts... which is why I didn't stress to heavily over it...money is a bitch... :lol:

I was looking at rotors for my car on ebay and other sites and they range from 20 bucks a piece to over 100. So what price should i go with that wouldent warp in a week and will last a while? Also do you guys recommend any certaian brake pads that are good for the money? There are alot of different kinds. Oh and Disco today is my day off so im going to go pick up a haynes manual.

i just did my brakes a few weekends ago, took me a half hour tops

all you need is: new rotors, pads, a torx 60 bit, and a c clamp.

I just got back from Checker and NAPA. The prices at checker are way better and the pads range from 20 bucks to 70 for the front set and rotors are 30 and up. Now Im going to have about 200 dollars so what should i go with? Also i think i only have to do the front brakes

Try getting the Raybestos "Raymold" rotor. I think they're in the $30-40 range. If you can afford $60-70 per rotor, get the Raybestos PG Plus rotor.

The best pads for your money would have to be the Raybestos PG Plus pads. I think they run in the $25-40 range.

You can't go wrong with Raybestos. They might cost a little bit more, but you do get what you paid for. I've been using Raybestos pads for the better part of 6 years now and have had nothing but good things to say about them. The PG Plus pads have a good balance of low dust, no noise, decent stopping distances, and relatively long pad life (at least longer than the cheap pads...) They don't exactly excel in one area, but are a pretty good trade-off. Ceramics are very quiet, have low dust and looooooong pad life, but won't stop the car for shit. Carbon Metallics and Semi-Metallics have excellent stopping distances, but produce tons of dust and squeal like a mofo (semi-metallics don't last very long, either.)

Check this site out:

http://www.rockauto.com

They have good prices on the parts you need and the shipping isn't that bad either.

BTW, Just do the fronts for right now. If you still have pedal pulsation after doing the fronts, then do the rears...