Guest RedCutlassSL

Guest RedCutlassSL

Last night when I parked my car everything was fine. This morning, when I started her, I immediately noticed a problem. When I put the car in any forward gear, the car has trouble moving. She won't downshift, won't rev past 3k, and generally pissing me off. The transmission fluid is fine, no odd noises, and once I get going, everything is fine, except it won't downshift when it should. I pulled the fuse for the ECM, but that didn't fix it. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Oh, both throttle cables feel pretty loose, but that can't be it could it? Because reverse works just fine. Thanks guys.

RedCutlassSL,

Well, if the fluid is up to level... it might be something internal. I'm looking at my shop manual and for what you said about your condition I'll give you a couple thing of what it could be:

Off of my 1992 Olds Cutty sevice manual (page 4T60-E-10)

* I'm assuming that you have the 4T60-E auto tranny *

- fluid pressure

- shift linkage

- drive axle

- fluid pump assembly

- torque converter

- drive link assembly

- input clutch

- input sprag or input carrier

- final drive assembly

Otherwise, the book called for check status of the engine revving in Neutral for clogged tail pipe / etc., and double checking all vacuum hoses... hopes this gets you started and hopefully more people can fill you in on more ideas. I haven't had the misfortune (yet) of transmission problems so I'm sort of shooting blind at the moment. Best of luck!

- RedFox340

Could it be your neutral start switch is messed up and it thinks you're in neutral when you're in gear, and it's hitting the rev limiter?

Any luck with it in 3rd gear?

If you put it into drive and ease in to the thorttle until 40mph, will it eventually go past 3k? This relates to Shawn's response. The neutral rev limiter will not let you rev past 3k when the vehicle is below a certain speed (can't remember what speed). But once you exceed that speed it will rev past 3k no matter what. Also, can you have the car scanned for trouble codes?

Jason

Guest RedCutlassSL

UPDATE!!! 1st and 4th gear don't work. I just had the transmission replaced last Sep. Thankfully its under warranty. They hooked my car up ot a computer today and it gave back the code: ERROR TRANSMISSION SWITCH or something like that. Any ideas?