Fuel pump dead, unless power ran straigt at the connector...

fierofanatic

Well I got the transmission in my car, and everything was ready to go, put the key in, and crank, nothing, motor won't start. Well I look over my connections to make sure nothing is missing after getting the tranny back in, find a few connectors I missed, plug them in, crank it, nothing, won't start. Then I notice I don't hear that stupid fuel pump whining, and make several tests. Checked the fuses, they're all good, look over the engine compartment again, its good. Go underneath the car with a battery and some wiring, pop the fuel pump connector, hook up the wiring to the battery, and low and behold *WHINEEEEE!!!!!!!* Works perfectly. I use my dad's electric meter, and hook up the 2 test wires to each of the connectors on the plug that comes from the car, turn on the switch to ignition, and get a .2 for one of them, then one of the others I got 8 volts... which I think was the sender signal. Other than that, I only got the 8 volts there, and the 0 or .2 for the others. Do you think my relay went bad somehow? Or whats going on? Since I bought this car last september, the battery has never been out, or completely dead (came close to it several times, but still had power) So could there be a fuel cutoff switch somewheres that flipped when I took the battery out? Please help fast or I'm royally screwed, I need this car on the road by tomorrow night.

Check the relay first for sure. Secondly, check the oil pressure sender. The fuel pump is tied through the oil pressure sender so the fuel flow will be cut off if the engine looses oil pressure. Does your car have the VATS system (do you have the key with the chip on it?) If it has it and the car won't crank (SECURITY light flashing,) then there's a problem with the VATS system.

I still say replace the relay first...