shaving the trunk lock

Cornerdealy

Hey, I debadged my car, and now im thinking of shaving the trunk lock to give it a cleaner look in the back.

How would I go about doing this? I'm a n00b to a lot of things, so be patient with me.

Is it simply just filling it with bondo or something like that and then sanding and painting?

Thanks for any help that I can get.

Is it simply just filling it with bondo or something like that and then sanding and painting?

Yeah, if your name's MacGyver :lol: .

To do it the right way you have to make up a sheet metal patch panel roughly 2 1/2" X 3 1/2". Cut out an area around the lock that would leave 1/2" around the inside of the area where the patch panel will sit. Using a special "recessing" tool (from the Eastwood company) use it to recess the perimiter of the area for the patch panel to sit in flush. Tack weld it in place, grind the welds smooth, coat with a light coat of bondo, prime, and paint. Follow all that? I'm sure you could find a write-up somewhere that details it better than I could ever explain :lol: .

Long story short, use a patch panel and don't try to fill in the hole with bondo!!!

Yeah, if your name's MacGyver :lol: .

To do it the right way you have to make up a sheet metal patch panel roughly 2 1/2" X 3 1/2". Cut out an area around the lock that would leave 1/2" around the inside of the area where the patch panel will sit. Using a special "recessing" tool (from the Eastwood company) use it to recess the perimiter of the area for the patch panel to sit in flush. Tack weld it in place, grind the welds smooth, coat with a light coat of bondo, prime, and paint. Follow all that? I'm sure you could find a write-up somewhere that details it better than I could ever explain :lol: .

Long story short, use a patch panel and don't try to fill in the hole with bondo!!!

:lol: ok, looks like i wont be shaving my trunk lock

Just get a small piece of metal and have a shop weld it on from the inside to the trunk lid. Then just fill the gap you have outside with bondo. I wouldn't do it myself though but if you want to get a shop to do it professionally. Oh and if your trunk release fails good luck getting into the trunk.

That is true. My Mom's Acura CL 3.0 doesn't have a trunk key or a place to insert a key in the trunk lid, infact it came from the factory like this and I've always wondered, what is going to happen when that cable breaks and the trunk cannot be opened, and/or the keyless entry stops working. Note the backseat in her car doesn't fold down like one may think.

Just my two cents

- Jeff L.

That is true. My Mom's Acura CL 3.0 doesn't have a trunk key, infact it came from the factory like this and I've always wondered, what is going to happen when that cable breaks and the trunk cannot be opened, and/or the keyless entry stops working. Note the backseat in her doesn't fold down like one may think.

Just my two cents

- Jeff L.

she will be screwed :lol:

IMHO shaving the trunk lock/keyhole is one of the best looking things that can be done to the back of a w-body. yet noone seems to have the balls/knowledge to doso.

As far as getting in the trunk if the release fails, just unbolt the seat and go in through there. All you have to do then is pull down on the "finger" of the latch mechanism and it pops right open. Shit, with the lock cylinder out, all you really have to do is find the slot where the lock cylinder's shaft went through and stick a screwdriver in and turn...

butthead.gif Huh huh huh, you said "shaft!" Huh huh huh.

beavis.gif Yeah, heh heh m heh, you said "slot," too! Heh heh heh m heh...

IMHO shaving the trunk lock/keyhole is one of the best looking things that can be done to the back of a w-body. yet noone seems to have the balls/knowledge to doso.

got both, just no desire to rely on gm's wiring and the little button under my dash.

As far as getting in the trunk if the release fails, just unbolt the seat and go in through there. All you have to do then is pull down on the "finger" of the latch mechanism and it pops right open.

I had the fun of doing that to my 95 when I got it.. neither key or power release would work (still working on the power realease).

Anyways I vote on not shaving it.. just cause. :P

One advantage if you use bondo and you want to switch back you just gotta smack that chalky shit out! :lol:

One advantage if you use bondo and you want to switch back you just gotta smack that chalky shit out! :lol:

:lol: i can just picture him sitting in a parking lot cause he locked the keys in the trunk with a hamer and chisle from wally world

As far as getting in the trunk if the release fails, just unbolt the seat and go in through there.

Care to make a video of yourself squeezing into the trunk through 30" x 20" opening? :roll:

As far as getting in the trunk if the release fails, just unbolt the seat and go in through there.

Care to make a video of yourself squeezing into the trunk through 30" x 20" opening? :roll:

hey i've done that before :oops:

I can fit pretty easy into the hole left from the rear seat in my GP, and I'm not overly small I guess, 5'11 180lbs.

The new Tbirds have no trunk lock either. We had one come in last winter as a no start, battery was stone dead. Look under the hood, no battery, no jump start locations that we could see. Guess where the battery is? In the trunk, opened by the keyfob. We did some more searching and found a cable actuated emergency release in the pass. compartment that the owner didn't even know about. That would be a nice safety to have in case your solonoid dies, although getting back there through the seat isn't bad. I'm not looking forward to getting back there with the quad buckets in the CS though......

I won't have a problem doing that, that's for sure! Shit, I guess I could make a video next time I have the seats out :lol: .

On a side note, one winter we had a massive ice storm and I couldn't get into my 94 Grand Am through either door (they were frozen shut.) For some reason, the trunk popped open with relative ease, so I crawled in through the trunk and the fold-down back seats (with a heavy-ass winter jacket on no less...)

As far as getting in the trunk if the release fails, just unbolt the seat and go in through there. All you have to do then is pull down on the "finger" of the latch mechanism and it pops right open. Shit, with the lock cylinder out, all you really have to do is find the slot where the lock cylinder's shaft went through and stick a screwdriver in and turn...

butthead.gif Huh huh huh, you said "shaft!" Huh huh huh.

beavis.gif Yeah, heh heh m heh, you said "slot," too! Heh heh heh m heh...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I don't know how small you have to be to crawl through that opening but I don't think I can even fit my head in there. How much bigger does it get when you take the seat back out?

It doesn't get much bigger. I installed a fold down rear seat from a '97 cutty and the trim is pretty much the size of the opening. It's still plenty big enough to crawl through.

My cousin would be so screwed, we had to use prybars to get his sub box in the trunk of his '92 regal. Atleast no one can steal it cause it's pretty much impossible to get the box out without hacking it up or the car.

A fiero has more trunk space in the rear than his car. :lol:

I don't know how small you have to be to crawl through that opening but I don't think I can even fit my head in there. How much bigger does it get when you take the seat back out?

You obviosly can't go through the center hole thingy.. lol

When you take off the backrest part of the seat (need to remove the bottem seat first) it is a fair sized opening.. most average sized people should have no problem getting in the trunk. I'm 5'9 180lbs and there was lots of room.

Yea my rear end looks real clean because when I first bought it i took off the olympic logos from the sides and rear. I am now thinking of shaving my trunck lock too. I also forgot I have a button to pop the trunk in my glove box and I have a keyless entry that I pop the trunk with.

buickrearend.jpg

Do you guys think it would make it look a lot cleaner?

I want to shave my trunk lock too. I just don't trust anyone else to do it, and I don't know how to weld (yet).

If you're concerned about not being able to get back in it, just hook up an emergency cable release type thing like Fords have. The Mercury Sable I used to have had a cable-operated trunk release too (although it also had a trunk lock).