gas needle out of control?

jack

I have 96 Buick regal with the 3800 series 2. I notice that the gauge does from 1/4 to empty and back up again. Of course this happens going around corners or up or down hills. But I notice it even when accelerating and braking. I know the car will do this to some extent but doesn’t 1/4 to past empty seem excessive?? Is the float gauge supposed to be mounted or something?

my 91 had the UB3 and it was a bit better than my 97...the thing is, the other 2 cars we own don't have that problem....the Lexus moves slowly in either direction....so like after you fill up it takes it a while to display a full tank....and the Mercedes is just accurate no matter what, I guess....but most other cars have slow needles.

Every GM made from the dawn of time has behaved exactly the same. The needle barely moves off of "Full" until you use a half a tank of gas, then it drops like a brick :lol: . Like was mentioned earlier, welcome to the wacky world of General Motors!!! :D

Happened to my 6000, The Lumina, Both of myt Grammas Buicks, former friends 89 Formula, Friends 90 LeSabre, Girlfriend's 97 Achieva.. Just a common bug on pretty much, if not all GMs.. It adds 5 hp you know..

Jack i have the same exact car as you and mine does it too. Mine doesent do it that bad tho but i noticed when im driving at a steady speed the gauge shows i have a little bit more gas than i acually do because when i stop it goes down a little bit.

I never go by the gauge anyway. I reset my trip odometer every time I gas up and go by that instead. When she gets to 330 miles on the ole trip odo, it's time to gas up (I can usually squeeze out 380 miles per tank when I don't run the AC...)

my truck does this when i stop fast or go up a hilll. Ive always understood it to be the sloshing of the gas in the tank which gives the gauge false readings