GnatGoSplat

94 Cutlass 3.4 DOHC.

"Check Gauges" light is on. The voltmeter is in the orange. Trip computer is reading low 11.6V, give or take a few 10ths.

We all know what that means. GRRRR!!!!!!!

It just HAS to happen the week I loaned my truck to a friend!

Anyway, 94+ has the CS-130D alternators. Is the procedure any different for 94+ compared to 91-93?

Also, are there any other CS-130D alternators that will just bolt up? I know there's a 125-amp version used on the 3800's. I don't want to mail-order anything special since I need this fixed ASAP so those sites that sell upgraded alts are out of the question - it needs to be some kind of OEM replacement I can get at O'Reillys.

Oh yeah, I'd also like to make mention of what a big piece of crap I think the 92-94 analog clusters are. The single "Check gauges" idiot light is retarded. I can't wait to put in the digital cluster and dumpster this piece (figuratively speaking - I'm not that wasteful).

The CS-130D alternators didn't come on Regal's untill 96. What I was referring to is I can check if the alternator will physically bolt up to the 3.4 to see if they had a universal mount.

If it's not much trouble, that would be great if you could take a look.

I'm almost thinking CS-130D has completely different mounts than CS-130 though... if I remember right, you can't just take a CS-130D off of a 3100 and bolt it onto a 3.1, so I'm thinking there's a difference.

Here is the difference from the CS-130 on my regal and the CS-130D on my 96 3.4.

alternators.jpg

The CS-130D mount is the opposite of the CS-130. the other mount looked like it would work.

I think the CS-130D alternators had the same mounting locations from the fact that the alternator had a spacer for the mount.

cs130dmountspacer.jpg

Here's the CS-130D bracket on the 3.4

cs1303.4bracket.jpg

Yeah, I'm in for it, that's for sure.

What a PITA this has been. It took me almost 2-1/2hrs to get HALFWAY done!!! To get to the halfway point on a 2.8/3.1 only takes 5-10 minutes!!! I started at 9:30pm, took everything apart, and once I got the axle out (which was VERY stubborn), then I took a half hour break and worked till I finally got the alt out which was just before 12:30am. The rear bolt and top stud simply weren't meant to be removed by normal-sized human hands. Fortunately, I managed to get the old alt out without the 4ft extension mentioned in the service manual or pulling the other heat shield. Just some good ol' careful contortioning and a whole bunch of ratchet single-clicks. One thing that would have helped a lot - ratcheting box end wrenches. I sure wish I bought a set before I started this project. I wish my impact wrench hadn't died too.

When I was done, I was covered in brake dust and grease everywhere. Even dirt in my hair from my head brushing against the wheel well. I think I spent an hour in the shower just scrubbing dirt and grease.

I let my friend at O'Reillys talk me into a "brand new" Master Pro Platinum alternator. It has a Lifetime Warranty and cost me $100+core on his employee discount. It claims "all new alternator" on the box. Anyway, he said their return rate on Delco remans is quite a bit worse than the Master Pro. I hope that wasn't a dumb move, but I guess I'll find out later!

When it rains, it pours. I think the AC compressor is leaking. Freon won't stay in the system for very long, and I noticed some clearish-looking oil dripping off the subframe under the compressor. I guess I'll need to replace it to get the AC back into shape. The PCM has also gone bad. I noticed the AC getting real hot at lights, and the temp rising to 220 degrees or so. One fan motor NEVER runs. I checked the motor itself, it's just fine. Relays are fine. If I ground the PCM control wire to the relay, the fan kicks on. The wiring is also fine. This car seems to be making a habit of having several unrelated problems occurring at the same time.

At least you had a garage to change yours in.. I had to change mine in the driveway of my old apartment.. I would have killed for a garage then. 8)

When it rains, it pours. I think the AC compressor is leaking. Freon won't stay in the system for very long, and I noticed some clearish-looking oil dripping off the subframe under the compressor. I guess I'll need to replace it to get the AC back into shape. The PCM has also gone bad. I noticed the AC getting real hot at lights, and the temp rising to 220 degrees or so. One fan motor NEVER runs. I checked the motor itself, it's just fine. Relays are fine. If I ground the PCM control wire to the relay, the fan kicks on. The wiring is also fine. This car seems to be making a habit of having several unrelated problems occurring at the same time.

Sounds like my car...it will hold r-134 for about a week and the compressor has stains all over it from leaking.

I swear one of my fans never runs either. My water temp gets to around 222 degrees (on the DIS) and then it starts to get cooled down by the fan (maybe the other one does kick on?)

i bought a 3 foot extension just for doing 3.4 alternators. slap it on one of my 12" ones and i have a 4'.

fyi the cs130 and cs130D are different, the D has a bigger case and the mount bolts are farther apart. i made a bracket at one point to mount the 130 into a 94-97 3.4 but dont know what happened to it.

I finished the job today. Took nearly 3hrs! What a pain!!! The two most time consuming parts was getting that silly spacer aligned just right so the bolt could go through it. I probably wasted a good half hour on that stupid thing until I moved so I could actually see it (rather than trying to feel around) and then it went right in. Getting the cooling duct with the alternator mounted was also a pain. I messed around with it for a good long time with no luck, took a break, and then when I came back, it snapped right in first try. Now I'm getting 13.6-13.9V. All done, and if I ever have to do it again, it'll be too soon. Overall the whole job was 5-6hrs... for something that takes 10-20minutes on the 2.8/3.1!

I think I would have gladly settled for the 3100 to avoid all this pain!

Yes, definitely VERY nice to have a garage. A nice garage is my #1 priority when house shopping! :lol: