Grand Prix Gauge Questions

terryk2003

ok...i was wondering if the 94-96 Grand Prix gauges do that gauge test thing when the start up (go all the way up, then back down)...also, what color are the needle's?...i have the white face overlay for my cutlass, but i think i want to get a Grand Prix cluster to put the overlay on instead of using the one out of my cutlass...

I miss the digital guages from my 88. Now driving with analog and digital HUD on the windshield seems weird to me! :lol: At least my fuel guage is more accurate now.

Does the Cutty do that? I thought that was only something that the newer GM clusters with the built-in "Info Center" did...

Here's a pic of my new GP cluster for my Regal for which I'm installing the "Reverse OTTO" overlay (taken apart so I could roll the odometer forward) :

gpcluster2.jpg

As you can see, the needles are orange.

I recommend getting a GP cluster so you can leave the original cluster alone in case something goes wrong...

I recommend getting a GP cluster so you can leave the original cluster alone in case something goes wrong...

yeah, thats pretty much why i wanted to get the GP cluster...i also wanted the orange needles cause i figured they'd be easier to see with the white backing on the gauges...thanx for the info everyone...

ok...well, i went to the junk yard today, and the guy tried to tell me that the GP gauges wouldn't work in my cutlass...he told me that some of the wires were different and he looked it up in his book and said it wouldnt work...now, you guys tell me it will...he didnt have a cluster for any w-body's anywayz...so, i'm empty handed...i'm kinda pissed...but...can someone please confirm that the GP cluster WILL WORK in my cutlass!?...has anyone swapped em already?...i just wanna make positively sure that it WILL WORK...and, if someone has a GP cluster they'd like to get rid of, pleaze let me know...

ok...well, i went to the junk yard today, and the guy tried to tell me that the GP gauges wouldn't work in my cutlass...he told me that some of the wires were different and he looked it up in his book and said it wouldnt work...now, you guys tell me it will...he didnt have a cluster for any w-body's anywayz...so, i'm empty handed...i'm kinda pissed...but...can someone please confirm that the GP cluster WILL WORK in my cutlass!?...has anyone swapped em already?...i just wanna make positively sure that it WILL WORK...and, if someone has a GP cluster they'd like to get rid of, pleaze let me know...

Don't tell these fucktards what you're gonna use it for. I'm frickin tired of going to the yard and asking for a part within a wide range of years, such as 92-96, or parts across different models and getting told that it won't work. Bullshit.

yeah, after i left i was thinkin i shoulda just told him i had a '96 GP...but, he brought up a point since i'm not COMPLETLY sure that it will work...BUT, if YOU GUYS say it'll work then it will...so, someone let me know for sure that it'll work...HOPEFULLY someone's swapped em before!?...

I'll let you know as soon as I get mine in. I say with 99.999999999999% certainty that he's full of shit. The only difference is cosmetic (overlays and needle color.)

Realistically, GM wouldn't make the same exact cluster for 3 different car lines and have them function differently when the purpose of having them identical in the first place was to save money on tooling. I'm certain the reason GM made the Cutty, Regal, and GP dashes and clusters identical for 95-96 (okay 94 GP's and 97 Cutty's, too) was because the federal government mandated dual airbags for the 95 model year. Those cars were nearing the end of their product cycle, but they needed a cheap way to meet federal regulations before the new models arrived, so they put the same dashes in the 3 car lines for a couple of years...

Okay, enough ranting from me :lol: ...

ok guys...sorry to bring this post BACK UP AGAIN...BUT, does anyone have the GM part number for the GP cluster!?...it seems that these are hard to come by in my area...i've called local yards and nobody seems to have any 95-96 GP's (or clusters for that matter)...soOooO...today i just decided F**K IT!, i'll check the price of a NEW one from the dealer...well, that seemed like a good idea until the dealer told me i need some number off of it because they'd have to order it from a different company...well, that'd work if i actually HAD a GP that i needed a cluster for...so...anywayz...i'm gonna call ONE MORE yard tomarrow...(its about 2 hours from my house...ouch...) if they have any i'll try to get it from them...if not, i guess i'm SOL...but, in the meantime if someone has the GM Part #, it'd be GREATLY APPRICIATED...

I'll get that to ya as soon as I get home from work :wink: ...

Have you tried looking at Car-Part dot com ?

I'm sure you could find one online through an out-of-state boneyard and have it shipped to you for a hell of a lot less than the dealer will most likely charge you...

well, i don't really wanna buy one from the dealer...BUT i do want one that's in GOOD shape!...i was thinkin about @ least checkin the price @ gmpartsdirect.com ...if it's really expensive, which it prolly will be...i'll try searching yards in other states...also, WHAT ARE THE EXACT YEARS THESE FIT?...94-96?...

well, i just found one from a 95 GP with only 65k miles on it (which is great cause my cutty only has 67k) for $65...but, its in NC :( ...i'd have to see if they could ship it, and how much they'd charge to ship it...NeWayZ...i'd still like the part number if you can get it for me...thanx

Okay, the sticker on the cluster housing reads 16195962, and the number silk-screened onto the overlay reads 16198360. I'd tend to go with the sticker, but try both and see what comes up...

haha...well, its the first number...but, i dont think i'll be messing with that...GM LIST: $406.37

OUR PRICE: $203.18 ....OUCH...i guess its back to the ol' JunK YArD search...THANX for getting me that info though!...

haha...well, its the first number...but, i dont think i'll be messing with that...GM LIST: $406.37

OUR PRICE: $203.18 ....OUCH...i guess its back to the ol' JunK YArD search...THANX for getting me that info though!...

:lol2: I love that. I could probably get you a '94-'96 GP cluster for $40 from the junkyard I frequent.

well...i called another yard today...i asked em for a cluster for a '96 GP, but they didnt have any...they DID have one for a '95 for $50...BUT, heres the part i still don't understand: ...he says that '95 says if fits 95 ONLY...96 for 96 ONLY 94 for 94 ONLY...what the hell is the difference?...and what's the difference with my cutty?...i know some of the idiot lights are different...but, do ALL THE OTHER idiot lights still work when you swap the clusters? (low fuel, low oil, temp, battery, brake, etc.)...will the gauges still READ CORRECTLY?... :roll: