pray for my car... dammit!

wally05

Well, everything was fine until my ride to school when suddenly, I had a huge vaccuum leak and a knock started right when I pulled into the parking lot. It just got towed tonight. It starts and runs, but it knocks EVERY ONCE and awhile and has a big vacuum sounding leak. There were no warning signs to this. so I'm pissed. Me and my family have had the crappiest luck the past year, so this just f****ing tops it off. Just thought I'd share.

Korey

I never knew anyone that had a Quad4 HO but i seen a lot of them on junk yards and heard a lot of bad things about them except that they are very quick. IS that true that they have a lot of problems and that they are that qucik???????

Yeah... that's what I thought, the head gaskets. They had already been replaced along with the head at 65,000 miles courtesy of Oldsmobile, so who knows...

correct me if i'm wrong...but, doenst a 4 cylinder only have 1 HEAD & 1 HEAD GASKET?...anywayz...that sux man... :roll:

Yeah... that's what I thought, the head gaskets. They had already been replaced along with the head at 65,000 miles courtesy of Oldsmobile, so who knows...

correct me if i'm wrong...but, doenst a 4 cylinder only have 1 HEAD & 1 HEAD GASKET?...anywayz...that sux man... :roll:

yeah. it isn't a hard job either, at least on a 2.2 pushrod Cavilier....

That's probably one of the easiest motors to work on in automotive history right there! Damn shame GM decided to quit making those motors, cause they're easy as hell to work on, and they'll last forever with proper upkeep. If you install a Fel Pro HG set on one of those 2.2's, it'll last over 100k vs 70k with the stock gasket set...

That's probably one of the easiest motors to work on in automotive history right there! Damn shame GM decided to quit making those motors, cause they're easy as hell to work on, and they'll last forever with proper upkeep. If you install a Fel Pro HG set on one of those 2.2's, it'll last over 100k vs 70k with the stock gasket set...

wierd you mentioned that.....my buddy "aquired" a Cavilier with a dead 2.2 for free. some young woman beat the hell out of it, never changed the oil, etc.

we ran a compression test, was horrible. we checked the timing chain, it was broke. we threw a chain on, and the car ran but the compression was still horrible. we put a head gasket on it, and the car ran pretty good but it lost oil pressure as the car warmed up.

we were tired of putting money and time into this car, so he sold it for the body for $500.

anyways the headgasket didn't take any time at all, a couple hours. changing out the valves wasn't bad either.

Quads are a pain in the but to work on. Plus Ive driven several and to tell you the truth the 2.2 and 2.5 will stay right up with them. I have always thought that the hp rating on the quads was always a bunch of gm hype. No offence to anyone but we have done a lot of head jobs and motor rebuilds on them in the garage I work at and we tell people that own them to get rid of them in favor of either a v6 or 2.2 or 2.5.

Well, I'm not getting rid of the engine, unless you want to give me money to buy one and the tools to put it in, haha. Seriously, though, the timing of all this blows, I'll be rushing to fix it, I plan on going fel pro.

Korey

ps: I disagree with the previous statement, I've driven 3.1's and 2.2's with sticks and my car has noticeably more pickup and go, but I guess it's just an opinion

Quads are a pain in the but to work on. Plus Ive driven several and to tell you the truth the 2.2 and 2.5 will stay right up with them.

you obviously haven't driven a HO Quad if you make a statement like that....

Well I should not have included the 2.5 as far as being able to keep up. But yes I have driven and worked on several HO Quads this year alone. As far as getting the hp out of them when you push them to the point to get to there max hp they tend to blow the head gaskets out of them. The HO Quad would have been a great little engine if GM had put more thought and money into fixing the head problems and addressing the fact that the cooling system they had been using wasnt enough for the Quads to stay cool enough to relieve the pressure on the heads keeping them from blowing.