Air Bag sensor on a 96 GTP

midstar

Where is the front air bag sensor on my car, and what does it look like. I can't seem to find it. I have taken off my front end to fix it (I hit a truck). I haven't seen it. I have found something that looks like the outside air temp sensor, but my friend says that it is the air bag sensor. I haven't seen any yellow plugs or wiring so I would like to know where it is at since the air bags didn't go off.

It's a "box" about 1 1/2" cubed that sits behind the grille (or in the GP's case, behind the nose.) It's mounted to the front side of the radiator core support and has a warning sticker on the top of it telling you not to fuck with it. Judging by where it is on my Regal, you have to remove the plastic shroud from between the header panel and core support to expose it. Not exactly sure whether or not the GP is the same, but it should be in the same location...

Thanks for your information. That is where I thought it would be at, but this has been my second accident and they haven't gone off. I will try and look again to see if I can find it.
FYI, the module for the airbags is located under the passenger side front seat. I would probably suspect that before I'd suspect the crash sensor, but it could be either one. If your Air Bag readyness light flashes when you first start the car and then turns off, the system is working properly. If the light stays lit, or doesn't even light up (or flash) when you first start the car, then there's most likely a glitch in the system somewhere.

I'd suspect possible tampering if the airbag light never comes on when you start the car. Either that, or there was a problem with it for so long that the light just burned out from staying lit all the time...

^^ What he said.

Or else the accident hasn't been severe enough to cause the bags to go off. I've seen cars in accidents where one would assume the air bags would have gone off and I've seen cars in such minor accidents with blown bags.

I think that the place that originaly fixed my car from the first accident removed the sensor. My front clip was smashed where it should of been. Thanks for all your information!

PS Oh yah it is a manual GTP it took me 2 months to do

I think that the place that originaly fixed my car from the first accident removed the sensor. My front clip was smashed where it should of been. Thanks for all your information!

PS Oh yah it is a manual GTP it took me 2 months to do

wanna do my car?