Pictures of me Stripping..

GP1138

... the paint off my hood!!

Hey, I figured if nothing else, I'd at least get Slick to look at this thread...

71e1881c.jpg

This is gonna be harder than I thought...

411bce4b.jpg

Puttin' mah sweetie to work!

2528f4f3.jpg

More and more paint.. this is round two, had to go get another can of stripper.

ac5e6986.jpg

All the little strips of paint. Scraping that off was so much fun! My lungs are thanking me for not wearing a breathing mask.. :?

3f3bdd56.jpg

Primered hood, BEFORE SANDING... the little middle darker section is where Carri and I had to run out to AutoZone and grab another (different) can of cheapee primer, cos it's all I could afford.

Tomorrow, I sand and begin painting. Wish me luck!

:evil: Thats not what I clicked for.

See see, I'm not the gay one here!!!

Also, aircraft stripper would have made it much easier!

:lol:

Aircraft stripper rocks. Get a bunch of overspray blown back in your face, feel firsthand how well it works. No seriously, I love how you can HEAR it work.

Guest Anonymous

slick... i have found the perfect thing for you. I was downtown at this italian deli, and about a block away is a street sign that says CHRISTOPHER STREET and GAY STREET.

I'll get a pic tomorrow so you can hang it up in your room.

I don't know why you bothered stripping it, hopefully you got 100% to bare metal otherwise the bumps of remaining primer are going to show up in the new coat. Even the body shop supplier I buy from recommended I not strip the paint unless it's damaged. Scuff the paint well, degrease it, and paint it and it will be just as good.

I don't know why you bothered stripping it, hopefully you got 100% to bare metal otherwise the bumps of remaining primer are going to show up in the new coat. Even the body shop supplier I buy from recommended I not strip the paint unless it's damaged. Scuff the paint well, degrease it, and paint it and it will be just as good.

Damn. The guy at Advance said to strip it. I don't care though, it's just a beater. If I really really want a nice finished hood, I'll pay $100 for a hood that's the same colour as the rest of my car.

And yes, I used aircraft stripper. Fun stuff. :twisted:

I probably would have stripped it too. I've never seen a repaint over original paint that didn't start peeling off ont he edges after a few years.

When the high $$$ dealer repainted the hood on my Cutlass (out of pocket expense), they stripped it down to metal. Funny thing is the same dealer scuff sanded and painted over existing paint when insurance paid for it. That did peel on the edges, especially in the fuel compartment where they apparently didn't sand as well.

BTW, you have a very good girlfriend to help you with that! She's a keeper. :thumbsup: I've heard not all women like to help with automotive projects. :shock:

I probably would have stripped it too. I've never seen a repaint over original paint that didn't start peeling off ont he edges after a few years.

When the high $$$ dealer repainted the hood on my Cutlass (out of pocket expense), they stripped it down to metal. Funny thing is the same dealer scuff sanded and painted over existing paint when insurance paid for it. That did peel on the edges, especially in the fuel compartment where they apparently didn't sand as well.

BTW, you have a very good girlfriend to help you with that! She's a keeper. :thumbsup: I've heard not all women like to help with automotive projects. :shock:

well thats what it's all about- prep. I never had peeling issues on my '90 after I painted it (well the parts anyway). Mom had a Nissan back in the early '90s that the dealer had painted before sale, started peeling in a few years (almost the same color underneath) the paint underneath was as shiny as the new paint :lol:

Yeah girls like that are hard to find, you best stick with her. Any of my ex gf's would just rather go shopping.

slick... i have found the perfect thing for you. I was downtown at this italian deli, and about a block away is a street sign that says CHRISTOPHER STREET and GAY STREET.

I'll get a pic tomorrow so you can hang it up in your room.

sorry slick, but thats just ausome :lol: :smilielol: :naughty: :thumbsup:

slick could use it as his new signature!

You have to keep the girlfriend, mine was too busy plucking her eyebrows or painting her nails :roll: