HELP QUICK!!!!

HokemBokem

I went out to start my 96 regal just now and its not starting, this is the first time this has ever happened and i dont know that much about cars. When i first turned the key it started but was idling real qierd and stumbling then shut off, now everytime i turn the key it acts like it wants to start then when i let go of the key everything shuts down. If i just hold the key is just keeps actin like its tryin to start but never does. Please give me advice on what to check, my dad said it might be the fuel pump so where is that located and what else could it be???

Might be flooded, try holding the accel pedal to the floor, that will cut fuel. Crank it over with the pedal down and see if it'll start. If it doesn't, look for your schraeder valve, looks like a tire valve stem, but on your fuel rail. Should have an aluminum cap on it. Press on the valve inside and see if fuel sprays out. Watch your eyes though, maybe put a rag over it before you spray. Sounds like a fuel concern in any case, too much or too little.

I might be wrong, but I belive that the fuel pump is located in the gas tank.

yep...its deffinatly in the gas tank...sometimes if you craw under the car with a rubber mallet and beat the hell outta the gas tank, the car will start (if its a fuel pump)...just a sugestion...

Guest Gp crazy

Yes it's in the tank ): But i would look for a relay or fuse first then fuel filter. if you can get a hold of a psi. gauge + a good friend you should have 48-53 lbs. of psi! If no psi the pump is not working. Hell take the easy way out just turn the key on motor off and listen for it it should run for 15-30 seconds then you should here a click. if no sound pump not runing. good luck ! jeff b

so i should get a new relay and a new fuel filter? do you think this will make my car run again>?

See if the pump itself is running first. Like stated above, turn the key to 'run' and listen for the slight HUM from the rear end. Runs for 5-10 seconds IIRC.

Everyone should know this sound, cause when it isn't there, you're not sure if you've heard it or not before.

First of all, get a spark tester (you remove one of the spark plug wires from a spark plug and insert it into the tester) to check for spark. If you do have spark, remove your intake tube and shoot some starting fluid into the throttle body while someone cranks the motor over. If you can get it to run on the starting fluid, but it dies as soon as you stop spraying, you have a fuel pump problem. Before you drop the tank to change the pump, remove your passenger side torque arm (the bar that runs from the strut tower to the core support) and pop the cover on the passenger side fuse box. Look on the diagram for the fuel pump relay, and remove it. Sand down the contacts with some sandpaper and bend them out a tiny bit, then reinstall the relay. If this doesn't work, you need to change the fuel pump...

how much is this going to cost to get it done at the GM delaership, my dad wants me to get it towed there tomorow and get it fixed

At a dealership? Empty out that piggy bank.

fuel pumps arent that bad to replace. talk your dad into replacing it with you, you will save a ton. i replaced mine i my ole 91 z34 basically by myself. i only needed my buddy to help me lower and lift the tank. i was lucky enough to have it go after i filled up!! (i am assuming the set up is the same on your car as my z34) replace your pump by removing the fill tube and the two steel belts, then lower tank a little bit. disconnect the pump harness and hoses, then lower the tank out. the pump assembly basically twists out of the tank, and replace the pump in the assembly.

So instead of going to the dealership to get my car fixed im going to take it to this shop thats 5 min away from me. The tow truck is on its way over right now. The guy on the phone said that if you drive with less than a quarter tank at all times then the fuel pump has to work harder to get fuel to the engine making it hot. Then he said when you fill up the gas from the ground is cold wich isint good for the fuel pump at all.

The guy on the phone said that if you drive with less than a quarter tank at all times then the fuel pump has to work harder to get fuel to the engine making it hot.

I dunno about it having to work harder, but i do know that the fuel in the tank is what keeps the pump cool...so when the fuel gets low and the pump isnt surrounded by fuel it tends to get hot and thats not good for it...

I hope that does it... You should've done it yourself, though, IMO. I did it on my Lumina, for like, $75 total. It's not even that hard, especially if you don't have much gas in there. Also, if that doesn't make it start, try cleaning your TB and intake manifold out...

I just got back from the shop, its going to be 700 dollars!!!! :evil:

There changing the fuel pump, and fuel filter thats it and I have to go and pick it up tommorow

The fuel pump can run from $50 - $100 depending on brand and the filter is about $8 anywhere you go. You could have changed that out in less then 2 hours (that's including travel time to the parts store). You might have even go off just changing the filter since the pumps really don't go bad unless you fill up with sludge.

Be sure to make them show you the gun!!!! Cause you just got robbed. Or make them at least put on a condom, cause you are being screwed!!! I feel really good that I got the dreaded 3.4 oil leak and my timing belt changed for less than you paid for a fuel pump!!!!! (And they pulled the head, not just put RTV around the hole) I don't think the dealership would have raped you that badly...but more importantly, IS IT FIXED???? Let us know.

I just got back from the shop, its going to be 700 dollars!!!! :evil:

There changing the fuel pump, and fuel filter thats it and I have to go and pick it up tommorow

:shock: OMG. You could have done that for less than $100.

must be nice to have Dad pay for car repairs.... :lol:

Well he bought my car and now im a busser and every 2 weeks when i get paid i give him payments, then when i am done the car switched to my name. Also he said i hav e to pay a couple hundred back to him in the long run.