Fog Light Replacement

Mizouse

Does anyone know if there is a better option for foglamps for my Cutlass. I have been using the standard replacement bulbs for some time now but they seem to burn out pretty regularly. I looked at some Silverstars that were suposed to be brighter, but were rated at 25 watts less. I don't know how long they were suposed to last, but the regular ones are only rated at something like 200 or 300 hrs.

i have the silverstars in my '97...they seem to be a lil brighter & whiter then the factory foglights...i had BOTH of my silverstars blow out within a month though...Murray's replaced the bulbs for free, and the new one's have been good so far (only had em about 2 weeks)...

I bought some of the cheaper pilot lights that look similar to our stock ones, have had them in for well over a year and have never had a single problem at all. They're driving lights, and some people have different opinions about that, but they work more than fine for me for 20$

I installed my own aftermarket foglights. Its really easy to do, since the wiring and stuff is already there. You just have to mix and match some wires. Its easy, and looks a lot better. My bulbs lasted forever with them too.

I didn't bother with aftermarket foglights yet, but I switched to Silverstars for my headlights...they're okay...no huge difference...but they're whiter and brighter slightly. My fogs on the '97 were burning out ultra-fast because there was this little hole in both of them that seemed to be covered by this little peice of plastic (looks factory) that would eventually peel off and let water and other shit into the lamp, and explode my bulbs. I blew up so many bulbs before I finally removed my foglamp assemblies, cleaned them out really really well, evaporated all the water out of them, made sure they were in tip-top shape, then I used some blue RTV on the holes and replaced the bulbs...haven't had a problem since. (maybe like 3 months ago? probably more...its been a while, though)

Just a thought.

Good luck!

YK

i hate the factory fogs....I just busted the lense on the passenger side, I am debating about replacing both of the lenses or just going aftermarket....I like the factory switch/wiring but I am not sure how I could wire in aftermarket ones to keep the stock switch as functional...

i hate the factory fogs....I just busted the lense on the passenger side, I am debating about replacing both of the lenses or just going aftermarket....I like the factory switch/wiring but I am not sure how I could wire in aftermarket ones to keep the stock switch as functional...

I'm not sure but wouldn't it be as easy as splicing the factory wire and using it for your aftermarket lights? just cut the harness off, and wire in your aftermarket fogs....Thats what I thought, anyway, I might be wrong. I guess it might depend on the size of the factory wire and the voltage/current of your aftermarket lights.

YK

When I did mine all I had to do was connect the two wires from each lamp to the two wires originally on the factory lamps. no redoing anything (other than I had to replace the relay which you should already have) and like i said ealier, over a year and no problems. Just make sure you have the the wires to the right sides, cuz I went through like 4 or 5 fuses until I had both sides the right way :lol:

I'm not sure but wouldn't it be as easy as splicing the factory wire and using it for your aftermarket lights? just cut the harness off, and wire in your aftermarket fogs....Thats what I thought, anyway, I might be wrong. I guess it might depend on the size of the factory wire and the voltage/current of your aftermarket lights.

YK

What he said

Just make sure you have the the wires to the right sides, cuz I went through like 4 or 5 fuses until I had both sides the right way

What you could do if you wanted to save yourself the fuses (but takes a little time), is to get a voltage meter and test the wires by turning your switch on without having anything connected (after you cut off your old harness, of course), then mark the wires +(positive) and -(negative)...that's probably what I'd do because I'm too cheap to buy new fuses...and I want to keep the extra ones I have :lol:

YK

I did this on my old 87 Grand Am years ago, and it's actually quite simple. Find the factory fog light relay and cut off the wires going to it. Find the "signal" wire which is hot when the fog light switch is switched on (I think it was purple on the GA.) Connect this wire to the corresponding terminal on the new lights' relay and wire the rest as you normally would (I used the supplied harness and discarded the rest of the factory wires altogether.) I remember that by wiring it this way, it does away with the ole "fog lights off with the high beams on" routine as well.

I did this on my old 87 Grand Am years ago, and it's actually quite simple. Find the factory fog light relay and cut off the wires going to it. Find the "signal" wire which is hot when the fog light switch is switched on (I think it was purple on the GA.) Connect this wire to the corresponding terminal on the new lights' relay and wire the rest as you normally would (I used the supplied harness and discarded the rest of the factory wires altogether.) I remember that by wiring it this way, it does away with the ole "fog lights off with the high beams on" routine as well.

This is actually a really good idea....