Odometer swapping

supreme_style21

I had my cluster swapped, but I didnt do it myself. The shop that did it said they would have to set it to the correct mileage and then take it to the dmv and get it certified. I think that is what your asking, if not disregard.

i did this on my old cutlass ciera, i upgraded to the full gauges and din't want a odo that said 136,700 in my 69,300 car i took it apart and figgured out that you could remove the number roll and put it into your new cluster, now you have to be EXTREMELY careful when doing this that you do not jar the numbers or make them move much and you gotta get it back in PERFECT

and as far as the legal stuff goes... its perfectly legal to make your gauges reflect the actual mileage, in fact its illegal not to. no "recirtification" required.

and if you got digital gauges... well i really can't help ya.

How is it properly done? I'm getting a cluster with 140k on it.. I want my 100k odometer in there. 140k cluster is from a 95 GP. 100k cluster is from a 94 GP.
Funny you should mention this, as I just purchased a 95 GP cluster for my Regal. The mileage read 60K and my car has 176K. The only way to swap out the odometers is to take the whole cluster apart, remove the speedo needle, and unbolt the whole assembly (the speedo and odo are contained in one unit.) I have the GP cluster apart right now (I can snap some pics when I get home from work) and instead of swapping out the odometers (because I want to leave the stock cluster alone,) I removed the stepper motor from the odometer and have been using another small motor connected to a 9V battery to spin the odometer forward (I'm at about 125K right now :D .) It's not physically possible to roll it back, though.

If you plan on swapping the sepeedo/odo assembly, before you remove the needle (and before removing the cluster from the car,) switch on the ignition and note where the needle sits. When you reassemble the cluster, plug it back into the car's harness and switch on the ignition and install the needle in the same spot you noted it to be in...

So, you cant just un screw the speedo from behind w/o removing the needle? How odd...
The overlay for the entire cluster is one piece and the gauges' guts attach to the back side of the overlay, with the needles mounting from the front. The circuit board unscrews from the frame and is only attached to the stepper motors (using tensioned connectors, not soldered) so it pops off fairly easily. The frame is sandwiched between the overlay and circuit board.

I'll snap and post some pics of it when I get home from work tonight :wink: so you guys can see what I'm talking about...

Oh yeah, I just wanted to add that you could snap out the whole odometer without removing the needle. You'll have to wiggle the whole assembly around a bit after removing the screws to snake it out. One end of the odometer's "axle" is "snapped" into the fingers that hold it in place and the other end just sits in a pocket (you'll have to "un-snap" one end and lift it out carefully without forcing the needle off...)

I am an expert at rolling these things.. I rolled from 114k to 256k on my 6000's odo after I upgraded to my full gauge package! :)

so your saying that is pretty easy to do, cause i'll pry have to do that in mu Euro when i swap the cluster :roll: i can't wait

When I switched my base cluster to a full gages package, I just removed the odometer/trip from the cluster assembly, and swapped it.

That may work in other Ws, but I do not believe the Lumina ever had a Tripo in the base cluster.. And Yea, Brad.. Really simple.. lol.. I had no problems.. You can go backward and forward.. And the Odo functions as it should..

i can't sleep but the DMV records contain incorrect information, you really should take measures to correct that problem so if you are ever questioned you could just say well it was written down wrong for that year.

well better drive it up past the 180k before next registeration, i guess i'm just anal about clusters and them being correct, i say if its sometihng that easy to do may as well do it.