TGP starter removal

god910

What is the easiest way to get that dood outta there? It looks like the A/C lines are in the way, and maybe the p/s cooler lines. I know it's not coming out the top, so what am I getting ready to get into? TIA.

my SE 3.1 car took me 20 minutes, but there was no oil line in the way. Took off the battery cable from the battery, 15mm in the big bolt, 8mm on the small bolt for the power lines, 2 15 mm bolts, turned is sideways and out it came right out. Taking the oil filter off might make life easyer.

good luck

Jeff

Alright damn it, this thing won't come out. And how can you say it's the same, I can't really tell what I'm running into, but I know w/ the turbo return lines and whatnot (I think I might be hitting the return line where it goes into the pan) and the oil cooler, I might be running into something. My biggest concern is that I don't see HOW it's gonna fit in between the subframe and the A/C lines. There's not much room. Can you elaborate on how you rotated it? Did you take it out motor first (The big end) or pinion first (what engages w/ the flywheel) Did you have the sol. pointed up or down, front, back? Man, I this is pissing me off, but it's just like everything else w/ this car. Just a little patience. I'm about to lift the fucking motor up to get it out. :lol: TIA.

Guest Anonymous

Pull it back as far as you can. Rotate the top of the starter towards the front of the car while lowering the back end down. The A/C lines are flexible enough to push them aside far enough to drop the starter down out.

I can't even get the nose of the starter out of the bellhousing. And yes, I did remove the inspection cover. (Actually there wasn't one to begine w/) The rear of the starter (motor side) actually hits the oil cooler, and even if I removed the line behind the starter (like the manual suggests) it would still hit the nipple that the line connects to. I'm afraid I'll have to remove the damn cooler. I took a pic of how far back the starter goes, and how it hits the cooler line. I'll post it in a bit.

Well the ass end won't go ANYWHERE. I can't even twist it when it's backed up because the ends of the screws that hold the starter case together run into the oil cooler line after about 2/3 a turn. There was only about 2-3" clearance w/ the a/c lines in there, since the a/c didn't work, I removed the lines. Luckily there was no refridgerant in the system. I removed the 1 9/16" nut holding the lines on the compressor, pulled the lines up, and viola, starter out. BUT, I was going to use the one from Sunshine, and it looks like the same deal there. So, fuck it, I'm gonna just buy the 3100 starter and use the ol' card del credito. Shouldn't have this problem w/ the new starter, and maybe one day I'll figure out why my TGP is different from everyone else's.

BTW: This mutherfucker is getting cut apart soon. My b-day is in 7 days, and my G/F is buying me a MillerMatic 175 welder and a Victor Super-Range II cutting torch. :D This bitch will be sitting outside until the cutting torch shows up.

Also, it wasn't the LINES the sol. was hitting, it was that accumulator/res. looking big thing on the solid part of the line. That was keeping me from rotating the starter. There wasn't enough room to get that between there, so I KNEW the starter wouldn't fit. Thanks anyway guys.

My memory if veeeery cloudy..but I still have a 90 lumina to see the subframe... Well I think your going to have to remove the cooling fans and unbolt the accumulator..NOT disconect and discharge..but just unbolt it form its place and pull it up ward..then grab the starter and pull it by its ass and pull up. After that...SLAM the starter on the concret floor to take your fustration out :lol: . OOOPS...core charge....KICK your Cross lance wheels with a open toe shoe... :lol:

I had the same damn problem when I attempted to replace a starter on a 92 with a 3.1. There was AC lines in the way. Major PITA. I finally said screw it and told the kid to take it somewhere to get it fixed.

I had the same damn problem when I attempted to replace a starter on a 92 with a 3.1. There was AC lines in the way. Major PITA. I finally said screw it and told the kid to take it somewhere to get it fixed.

If you just take the soft aluminum AC lines and push them out of the way it makes the job easier, just remember to push the lines back or they will rub on the bottom of the radiator support.

Jeff M

yeah, I did because I had reliability issues with the big old GM starter and seemed too have a harder time turning over the motor, might be those 198 lb closed pressure springs.....

It just gives so much more room around the starter too, which is always nice.