Those who have added a console shifter..

supreme_style21

Where the hell did you run the cable thru the firewall to the transmission? Everything else I can figure out... I can't drill, cause, quite frankly, I don't have a drill. The interior looks like ass right now, so I'd love to get this finished ASAP.

If your firewall is like mine, you'll need to drill and use a 1 3/4" hole saw. You'll have to pull the carpet back and up almost behind the dash, on the passenger side, you'll find a flat spot on an otherwise contoured firewall, that is were you drill through.

Crap. Good ol' trustworthy Chiltons shows the cable running straight in front of the shifter through the firewill. Will it reach thru the location the column cable runs through?

I'd go dig around in there now, but the engine is toasty.

The cable you have now will not work, you need one from a console shifted car. Right behind the rack on the pass. side of the exhaust down pipe there is a round knockout, all you need there is a hammer. On the inside of the car you will need to drill a hole through, there is a small dimple in the floor under the carpet that's the center of the hole.

Look here http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/386684/6

Well. A little background:

Most early Cutlass Supreme Base and SL, Buick Regal and I believe GP LE's, when ordered with floor shift, GM RAN THE CABLE THRU THE SAME HOLE THE COLUMN SHIFT CABLE WENT THRU (adjacent to the master cylinder) This is where I ran mine on my old '90 Cutlass, and also where I ran it on my sister's '93 Cutlass sedan. You won't have to drill at all (duh people) just be sure to run it in such a way that the pedals don't interfere (GM was able to do this by, I believe running it over the intermediate shaft boot) So get any ol' shifter cable, they're all the same lengths no matter where it was originally run.

The end.

Well. A little background:

Most early Cutlass Supreme Base and SL, Buick Regal and I believe GP LE's, when ordered with floor shift, GM RAN THE CABLE THRU THE SAME HOLE THE COLUMN SHIFT CABLE WENT THRU (adjacent to the master cylinder) This is where I ran mine on my old '90 Cutlass, and also where I ran it on my sister's '93 Cutlass sedan. You won't have to drill at all (duh people) just be sure to run it in such a way that the pedals don't interfere (GM was able to do this by, I believe running it over the intermediate shaft boot) So get any ol' shifter cable, they're all the same lengths no matter where it was originally run.

The end.

Yes. I ended up trying to run it thru the exsisting hole. Worked perfect with room to spare. The cable and shifter is from a Monte Carlo.

yeah it's truely not difficult at all. it took maybe a week to do but that was working on it for like a half hour at a time when i got the chance a couple winters ago when she was stored. i put the cable thru an existing hole in the firewall....it's alot easier that way :wink:

yeah it's truely not difficult at all. it took maybe a week to do but that was working on it for like a half hour at a time when i got the chance a couple winters ago when she was stored. i put the cable thru an existing hole in the firewall....it's alot easier that way :wink:

The biggest, and dumbest, problem I ran into was getting it out of that bracket. I spent a frickin hour manuvering myself around, cutting my hands and arms, when I realized I could TAKE THE BRACKET OFF! doh. 30 seconds later, it was finished.

hey post some pictures of that bad boy when you get it finished. i am interested to see how it turned out.

I'll take some tomorrow when I head back home to pick up the seats from my '89.. right now I'm using the pass. seat on the drivers side :? Looks... good..

• 1 year later...
most of the time on these older gm cars they just made a block out plate for the PRND21 indicator when ordered with floor shift.

Gearhead43 did this on his wife's 'Prix. Lazy bastard.. :lol:

I did what???? Umm WTF you talking about dizzy boy :lol: My Wife's 89 is an SE.. and it had a floor shifter...