base model VS International, SE,

NORBI

I want to know if base model of Cutlass Supreme and GP are faster then Cutlass SUpreme International and GP SE because they had less power (seats, windows) and no ground effects. So were they faster since they were lighter?

wouldn't know but they're all heavy cars either way...i doubt if a few extra pounds here and there make the difference. good question though. i can beat a lot of ricers with my A/C on though, i know that!

I thought I heard somewhere the Internationals and SEs had special ECM chips in them that the regular ones didn't have that made them a little faster...maybe a little more timing or something? Who knows.

Jason

i heard that too so i put a ECM from a international CS to my base CS and i notticed a little difference in performance, wasnt a lot but it was there and also before i did that my friends International felt little more powerful than my CS but not till i changed ECM, so i guess it is true. :)

Internationals also had dual pipe mufflers that flowed a bit better compared to base models.

All the electronic stuff weighs virtually nothing, the climate control, the DIC, the HUD, it's all plastic and probably weighs less than 10lbs combined. The rear console and rear seat cushions are also WAY lighter than the bench, and the only thing that might be pretty heavy is the power seat motors, but many base model cars also had power driver's seat.

body kits and stuff like that can make a difference in speed and such on some cars. I believe the 30th anniversary mustang GT was actually slower than the same years LX model (1990 i think??)

I'll take my 83 LX up against Most of the newer Stangs.

but then again a 460 and a C6 is Kind of Cheating I guess.

oh and dont forget the whole 84 Mustang Cop Car Drive Train.

Put it this way Stomped on a 2001 ZO6 like it wasnt even there.

I was under the impression that the only cars that got a differant chip were the 1988 cars and that was for either MAF, or SPEED DENSITY. All of the otherones should have been the same. There is also a differance in ECM's between the OHV, and the OHC motors. I accidentally put an ECM from a 3.4 DOHC in my car, and it had the redline for the TACH set at 5500, but the regular ECM was set to 6000.

Botan

That ECM was bad, so I had to get another. I had noticed the extra red line in teh Cutlass a long time ago. You will notice that ALL of them have it. the next time you start it, look closly. The line will light up when you turn the key, but it will go away shortly after. It is only on for a couple of seconds.

I want to say that I have seen a Cutlass cluster that went to 8,000 RPM, but I can't remember all the details. I know that I drove a Cutlass with the twin cam, with the digital cluster, but I do not remember the redline. When I put the twin cam ECM in my car, it changed the redline from 6 to 5.5, but when I put the other ECM back in, it was back to 6. When you turn the key on, for a few seconds, you will see 3 red bars for the redline, but then it will go back down to 2. I know this holds true for the 2.8/3.1, but I don't remember for the twin cam.