adding oil pressure/voltage guages

THe_DeTAiL3R

My car has no oil pressure and battery voltage guage like my '88 did.. I think thats stupid.

1. Wondering how hard it would be to wire a set up, and how exactly that would be done. :confused:

2. Are those cheap ($20) ones with the various guages any good? Or should I spend more money?

I'd like to place them in the spot above the vents (above the stereo)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v142/canadianbadass2k/Sept%2019/S2400046.jpg

Whatever you do, don't get the cheap gauges! They're cheap for a reason, cause they're pieces of shit. Get a good set of AutoMeter or VDO gauges (check out Summit Racing.) I remember reading someone's write-up on creating a gauge pod in that empty space above the vents of a Grand Prix a few years ago. Sorry I did not bookmark it, though. From what I remember, he modified the dash bezel with fiberglass so it would accomodate 2 (or maybe 3, I can't quite remember) gauges in place of that "pocket." I say go for it! The voltmeter is self explanitory, as it hooks up to a circuit that's switched with the ignition. I would go with an electric oil pressure gauge, cause the mechanical ones require you to run neoprene tubing directly to the engine, and therefore introducing hot engine oil (under pressure) into the passenger compartment (imagine if the hose blew off the gauge!)

Good luck, and post pics!

I might just get a battery guage then, since I have a stereo w/ amp and that's always been an important feature to me. Oil guage- it bouces up and down not really that important to me.

it looked pretty sweet in there. of course i recessed it in some mdf and coverd that in tan leather to match his seats. but you could probably mount it to the speaker box and it would look decent