How often do you change air filter?

HokemBokem

i was wondering how often you have to change your stock air filter? I bought my Regal about 5 or 6 months ago with 79,000 miles and now I have abot 89,000 miles on it and I was wondering if its due for a new air filter. And also does it matter if you buy an expensive 30 dollar k&N one or a 10 dollar fram one?

There really isn't a set mileage, it depends on if you drive a lot of gravel roads, in town, or highway miles. Take it out of the car and see if you can see light through it. If you can't, replace it. As for the K&N drop in, it might give you a pony or two, but you have to keep it pretty clean to get any gains.

I use a K&N dropin and a cone which does save in the long run. As was said if it looks dirty the K&N should be cleaned, if you don't see light than the paper one needs to go in the garbage.

Fuel filters don't cost much, but can be a real pain to change especially if you live in the north with a lot of salt use. I'm not sure what spec is but it should probably be changed every 50k or so. But it really depends on where you get your gas from and if you run your tank right low all the time.

K&N! I have a 9" cone inside my intake box. From what I heard the filters work better when they are a little dirty then clean. Also when you do clean them and reoil them don't use a ton of oil as it will gunk up the engine. (follow directions on cleaning kit and you won't have problems.)

I got a used K&N from 90TGP (for $10 :wink: )

Anyways I used the recharge it and after spraying on the cleaner stuff and when you rinse it- DAMN the water sure was dirty! :lol:

Anways its all clean and oiled I'll probably recharge it next year just cause.

I want to do the fuel filter soon too, just cause I don't know when its been changed last. I think that a clean fuel filter makes your fuel pump last longer, cause I when I changed it on my 88 the whine got quieter.. I think..

For me, with the regular paper air filters I replace them about every 10,000 miles. That's what I run in almost everything.

I have 2 K&N drop ins in my Camaro that are over 2 years old and I haven't even checked them cause I only put about 2,500 miles on the car so far.

I strongly suggest you get a Haynes manual and study up on the section about "Preventative Maintenance." They lay out a schedule for you to follow, and explain everything in easy to understand jargon.

But as far as air filters, they cost what, 3 maybe 5 bucks max? I always inspect my filter every time I change the oil and if it's nasty, I change it...