cutlass broken into, how to replace glass?

lothos

Hi all... Just signed up for forums, been lurking for a while. Very helpful resource, thanks.

Anyways my 92 4 door cutty was broken into in Minneapolis, missing wallet (id, cards and money were not in it), palm pilot and 200 cds. Idiots ruined my head unit trying to take it, but radar detecter was left on dash.... Go figure. My passenger side rear glass was broken, the little triangle one. Don't have money to have it installed, going to junk yard anyways, can I replace this myself? Tried searching but I'm on my nokia 3650 and it's not as intuitive as a computer so I apologize in advance if this has been covered already.

Thanks!

Have you called any glass shops? I'd try calling John's Auto in Blaine, they install new and used glass, and I've heard their prices are a bit cheaper than Harmon, Abra, etc.

Here's their website:

http://www.johnsauto.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=browse&pageid=34

I've half-assed replaced the rear quarter glass on an 87 Grand Am once and it was a complete pain in the ass. You'd need the special adhesive because regular old silicone caulking doesn't do the trick!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: It's a royal pain to get the old adhesive off, as well. If it were me, I'd call around and beg borrow or steal to get the money up to have it fixed right...

So where are you located? I'm up by Fridley, and we have quite a few "Tvin Sitties" members on this board. If you're interested, we're having a meet in October (see the events section.)

BTW, Welcome!

I'd like to give it a shot myself, got the car cause I wanted to learn. Picked it up in May, only had trucks before this and couldn't even do my own oil!

[edit: wow, my phone cut out half my post....]

my girl's dad has the facilities but no time cuz he's building a streetrod lol... Learned tons on my own and wanna tackle it, plus I'll be sinking my money into learning suspension stuff (bearing, joint, tie rod, i dunno). My chiltons just says don't do your own fixed glass haha, so any tips would be greatly appreciated. I was at john's and fridley auto the other day, I'm from burnsville but get around :) Gonna go to upull and highway 101 today. Saw the meet info, really interested in talking with other w-body geeks and I'll be there unless my tire falls off! Haha! I'm up in your area a lot, white cutlass supreme sl with the dented driver's door and no passenger side quarter glass, seen me? :) oh hey, you seen a white driver's door at a yard anywhere? Can't find one.