Stupid question

Bullitt

I guess the only stupid question is the one not asked, so here it goes....

My 91 Z34 does not have any cup holders and I want to put something in that doesn't look ridiculous.

I have a 5 spd tranny and I would appreciate any pics on someone that has added or fabbed in a cupholder.

I need something to hold my coffee when these Civics and their fart can exhausts pull up next to me in the morning and want to race me.

PM "stevezasycho." He put in a console from a 94 Grand Prix in his Lumina (built in cupholders, baybee!)

the console was from an automatic though....you are going to be hard pressed to find a solution to you problem....

It doesn't look like it'd be that hard to just cut out the "PRNDL" part of the upper console and make a custom boot fit in its place. Dremel tools are our friends :wink: .

Here's some pics stolen from Steve's site (he says he used the "PRNDL" to hold the boot in place.)

Old_new_boot_install.jpg

I'm sure you could "engineer" something resembling this to fit your 5-Speed's shifter. Hell, it's worth a try, anyways...

It doesn't look like it'd be that hard to just cut out the "PRNDL" part of the upper console and make a custom boot fit in its place. Dremel tools are our friends :wink: .

that is true, but I would get the newer version of that console with the cupholders by the armrest, otherwise you would hit the drinks everytime you shifted to 3rd or 5th......if you do custom fab something up, be sure to take detailed pics of the customization process....

I think fabbing it up is the way to go as I found a complete interior from a Grand Prix SE with dual power seats and the buckets in the rear, I can get the complete interior for $50.00

I think I can fab something after I get the new interior is in.

It even has the funky computer in the console as well as all of the controls for the seats on top of the console. I think I can wire that in, even though I have the OBD II system.

I would get the newer version of that console with the cupholders by the armrest, otherwise you would hit the drinks everytime you shifted to 3rd or 5th...
I almost forgot about the 94's having the cupholders in the "wrong" spot :lol: . Yeah, go with the 95-96 GP console (or 95-97 Cutty console.) I don't know if you'd even like the Regal's upper console. It has more of an enclosed "pocket" at the front (underneath the radio) but the cupholders have lids that flip open. I for one don't care for the lids over the cupholders on the Regal console, but I kinda like the "pocket" better. I noticed that if I have a drink in the front cupholder, it blocks the shifter from shifting into LOW...

Here's some pics of the Regal console:

Side view:

int2.jpg

Damn date stamp is in the way on this one:

int3.jpg

Good shot of the "pocket." Notice that it has more of a "bin" shape to it than the one in the GP console:

int4.jpg

I think I can wire that in, even though I have the OBD II system.
A 91 Z34 doesn't have OBD II unless someone swapped in a complete 3.4/4T60-E drivetrain, PCM, and harness from a 96 or a 97.

I think I can wire that in, even though I have the OBD II system.
A 91 Z34 doesn't have OBD II unless someone swapped in a complete 3.4/4T60-E drivetrain, PCM, and harness from a 96 or a 97.

:werd:

Yea, I did a good job on the install actually :P .. I have been in correspondence with this guy.. Told him Id be more than happy to modify the console top for 5 speed.. lol.. As I have a 94 top sitting here doing ABSOLUTELY nothing.. lmao

I am still very new to this Chevy thing, I am still trying to figure out what I want to do for cup holders.

I haven't had them for over 5 years, maybe I am getting old and want them. I hope to get the lingo right one of these days and not sound like an idiot that knows nothing about cars.

Stevezasycho, I am still thinking about your offer, I am going to the wrecking yards again tomorrow to see what i find for interior pieces here, if not I will be contacting you to get your upper console for me.

Alright.. Well, Theres no gettin of the upper.. I have the 94 one if thatll work for you.. Its just the bottom of it I am presently, and happily, using.. But its yours man.. lol. If ya want it.. I have no use for it at all :P

hey disco what is that thing hangin from your glovebox?

Its a smokeless ash tray. My mom has a couple of those damn nasty things.

Anyone ever see the cup holders used in the early 90's RS Cavaliers? They would be easy enough to put into a w-body dash....

5speedz34 wrote:

The older 88-93 GP consoles with the DIC have cupholders!

Unless they are hidden somewhere I can't see, you are wrong.

Umm behind the shifter is theres a ashtray, and I think that doubles as a cupholder.