My speedometer sticks

DEMonte1997

2000 Regal GS with 31000 on it.

I was on the interstate the other day and I noticed that my speedometer wouldn't go past 65mph. I kept accelerating until the speedometer jumped (all in one movement) to 75mph. The needle stayed there until a slowed down a bit. I'm not sure how fast I was going, but I could only estimate that I slowed down about 20mph. At that point, the needle went back to 65 and then down to 55mph (in two quick movements).

Anyone know what could be causing this? What really sucks is that the car wouldn't do this the next day.

I had the A/C on the day it happened. Could that have screwed up something?

Thanks for all the replies.

One further question: if I were to replace the gauge cluster, how would the mileage discrepancy be handled? could they program it to have the same mileage as my old one? i'm guessing that's a negative..

could they program it to have the same mileage as my old one? i'm guessing that's a negative..

A dealership could do it....I would bring them the new cluster to have them program it, show them you current mileage and explain the problem that you are having with the needle sticking...they shouldn't give you too much of a problem